Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2008 1:30:16 PM EDT
I've got two barrels that both fit in my standard bushmaster A2 upper. They just slide right in. But my Vltor MUR just arrived and neither barrel fits in it. One I have stuck in it right now and its only half way on. Did I get an out of spec upper?

(update) Its fairly cold outside, 18F, so I put the barrel outside. Then I'll bring it into the garage where I'll hit the upper with a heat gun and hopefully it comes off
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If a barrel is stuck and you want to remove it, a section of 1" wood dowel works well, just enough to go through the receiver plus a couple inches, then tap it and the barrel out with a mallet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
lube?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I recently had the same problem (Vltor MUR and Noveske 16.1 Recon barrel). I tapped it lightly around the edges of the barrel extension rim with a brass hammer to get the barrel to go in. I can't imagine this would do any damage, I wasn't hitting any harder than I was hitting to get pins into the lower, but I'm new to the whole thing. Maybe someone can comment.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I did spray CLP on the surfaces and it didn't seem to help. Not sure what's going on as my two barrels slide right into my other receiver. The Vltor I just got the barrel goes on 1/4 of the way and then really tightens up. I had to pound it on the carpeted floor (professional eh?) to even get it on half way. Anyone know the tolerances of the inner diameter?
––––

Update: Got the barrel off. It was 18F outside. I put the barrel out in the cold then took it into the shop and heated the upper with a heat gun. Slid right off.

PK seems to think its tight tolerances + parkerizing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I get 0.9945" with a bore gauge. PK firearms recommended I take some emory cloth and sand down the parkerizing a little.

I assume the nominal is 1.000. Should I attempt to take 0.006 off with a little sanding?

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Try hearing up the receiver in the oven to about 250-300 degrees. The aluminum will expand some and the barrel should slide in proving the hole is not way undersized.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top