Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:41:21 PM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with the Gas Buster charging handles? I'm leaning towards a standard charging handle with a Badger gen 1 latch installed, but I'm curious about these Gas Busters.  What makes them worth the hefty pricetag?
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have them on all my rifles - well worth the price IMHO. Much more solidlt made (less likely to break in use), and really do divert the gas away from your face. The only problem is they won't work with a Ceiner .22 kit... I just switch out to a standard CH with the Ciener.
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Suppressors.

The Gasbuster is a great upgrade, I have three on my "tactical" rifle builds.  

The charging handle is made of steel, and supposedly stronger, and I the larger latch is the best of the of the "tactical" charging handle latches, and I'd strongly consider going with that over the Badger, if you decide not to go with the Gasbuster.  It also has a "T" surface than the standard CH, making the whole thing easier to grip.

The main advantage, however, of the Gasbuster though, is the channel cuts to redirect the gas and excess lubricant that leaks from the back of the receiver where the charging handle opening is.  Generally, it's not a big problem, unless you really really really overlubricate the action.  

However, if you plan to do any firing suppressed, then the Gasbuster makes it much much more comfortable, IMHO.  The excess backpressure of the suppressor will often shoot gas and lube back into your face, stinging your eyes, and getting into your lungs.  With the Gasbuster, however, you can't really tell the difference between firing suppressed or unsuppressed, and it virtually eliminates gas blowback into your face.  

Worth it, IMHO, if you intend to suppress your rifles.  

HTH,
~Augee
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Only a beneficial accessory if you have a suppressor mounted on the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
They are great with suppressors AND offer improved surface area for grip while chraging.

All the top builders use them routinely.
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Haha well I guess the Gas Buster is the newest addition to the parts list...thanks for all the feedback!
Link Posted: 11/3/2008 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one.

I don't find them to have much of an advantage over a $20 addon (PRI Big latch, Badger GenI or II), unless you're running it suppressed, or really mind a bit of gas from the receiver.

They're a must-have for suppressed, period.  Otherwise, they're just very nice charging handles at 3x the price imo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one on a suppressed SBR (10.5" w/ Gemtech HALO).

It does help some. It is definitely no cure.

I still get considerable gas in the face by the sixth or seventh shot in calm-air conditions.

Prior to installing the PRI handle, the gas was in my face by about the third shot.

Suppressors are going to put gas in your face even if you run a piston-driven upper.
The gas come out of the ejection port and around all the other gaps in the receiver assembly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top