Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2008 1:33:53 PM EDT
Colt Ar-15 Match Target Comp. 20" barrel... I want to upgrade and have no idea where to start.  The world of ARs is new to me.  It is a standard production MT6700.  I would also like to replace the stock front arms but with all the choices I am lost...  

I would guess that there is something that can replace the front sight that will hold the existing arms in place so that a scope can be mounted with out issue.  Do they have front sights that fold up that can replace the existing sight?  Any suggestions?

One other question:  On the barrel it says Cal. 5.56 NATO. but the gun is .223.  I understand that the 5.56 NATO is the mil spec of the .223 and has a little more punch.  By running the 5.56 am I going to have any issues with this gun?

Please...any help would be great.

Thanks
Zackeal
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#1]
At the risk of getting my butt handed to me, I will attempt a clear answer. The Rem. 223 and NATO 5.56 are two different rounds. The 5.56 is a military round and the .223 is a civilian found. The case in the 5.56 is made a little heavier in places and the case neck is not quite as long as the .223. This COULD cause the bullet of a .223 round to be forced into the rifling of a 5.56 on chambering and cause higher pressures on firing.
The .223 can be fired in a 5.56 and a 5.56 can be fired in a .223, but, except in cases of emergencies, I would avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cut and paste from the Ammo Oracle.

Dimensionally, 5.56 and .223 ammo are identical, though military 5.56 ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" .223 chambers, be unsafe to fire.

Oh just read this instead. ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/hist_diff.html
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay...  just so I am clear.  If my barrel is marked 5.56 then I should be good to use the NATO round correct?  Even if the lower says .223.  I will likely never use the NATO round but just in case it ever comes up......
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, your barrel is where the chamber is cut, not the lower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone willing to tackle my other questions?hinking.gif
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top