Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2008 6:03:11 AM EDT
I don't know what the correct term for this problem is, as I am a begginner in the AR world.. but my new Del-Ton midlength rifle is having a problem.

Took it to the range and shot off a few rounds with no problems. After the 10th round or so, the fired round would extract fully but the next round would not chamber correctly. The bolt did not seat all the way forward. I'd have to pull back on the charging handle and let it fly forward for the round and bolt seat correctly.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It would help if we knew what ammunition was being used and what brand of magazine was in use when the rifle experience these failures to feed.....

Also is this rifle "new" - how many rounds are on it.... (may not be broken-in yet)

mike
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#2]
AR's like lots of lubrication - are you using enough?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
It would help if we knew what ammunition was being used and what brand of magazine was in use when the rifle experience these failures to feed.....

Also is this rifle "new" - how many rounds are on it.... (may not be broken-in yet)

mike

Brand new. Magpul PMAGs are being used... and the ammo is 223 UMC and 5.56 Federal XM193.

As for the lubrication, I figured that might be the issue as I didn't lube it nearly enough as I have read recently. Hopefully that is the issue at hand.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AR's like lots of lubrication - are you using enough?

Clean it, lube it, work it, shoot it. Repeat. It will get better. Report back if you have further problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be a short stroke problem.  This is a result of not enough gas to cycle the operation.  Causes could be gas port size, improperly installed gas tube, or a leak under the front sight base.  Don't know if this is the case, but it could be.  I had a barrel custom made recently and it was short-stroking.  I had the gas port re-drilled and problem was solved.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar problem. Replaced my buffer spring and all was well. Tony at Del-Ton actually did the diagnosis and fix.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top