Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2008 4:27:19 AM EDT
Could someone tell me which way to drive out the pins in my front sight base so that I may remove it? Left to right ,or right to left?
                                                                   Thanks .
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a great wealth of knowledge in the AR forums at the tab located above.

FYI They are Tapered. So one end is bigger than the other. Compare and drive them out the bigger side.

If its a strait pin barrel. The pins will be the same size on both ends. In which case drive them out which ever side is easiest.

Most of mine are from Right to left side to get them out. But not all of mine have been like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Could someone tell me which way to drive out the pins in my front sight base so that I may remove it? Left to right ,or right to left?
                                                                   Thanks .

The "Build It Yourself" Forum:

BIY
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Be aware that sometimes they are very hard to drive out without a proper jig or a press. Bushmaster barrels are known for this.  I tried mine and had no luck so I sent it out to Adco.  They did a nice job removing it and even threw in a new FSB for free  (I messed up the original one a bit while trying to remove it).
Link Posted: 8/30/2008 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The pins get drifted out from left to right and get reinstalled from right to left. You need to support the FSB and give the pins a MIGHTY GOOD SMACK to get them to start coming out. Some PB Blaster or WD40 may help a little or not at all. Best to get someone to help you on this chore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Be aware that sometimes they are very hard to drive out without a proper jig or a press. Bushmaster barrels are known for this.  I tried mine and had no luck so I sent it out to Adco.  They did a nice job removing it and even through in a new FSB for free  (I messed up the original one a bit while trying to remove it).
how much did that cost?
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be aware that sometimes they are very hard to drive out without a proper jig or a press. Bushmaster barrels are known for this.  I tried mine and had no luck so I sent it out to Adco.  They did a nice job removing it and even threw in a new FSB for free  (I messed up the original one a bit while trying to remove it).
how much did that cost?

$41 including the new FSB and shipping.  Prompt service. I had it back in a week.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top