Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2008 2:58:19 PM EDT
why are these $30 when the carry handle sights with kits are usually like $75?

I'm thinking of getting one for my first build and just wanted to make sure there wasn't some crazy shortcoming. At first I thought from pictures maybe there was a little less space for fingers for actually using as handle.

Does anyone actually have one on their gun?
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The picture on their site makes it look like these things are made from Cerro forgings, which would be good...  But we all know how things can get exaggerated online.  You could call them and ask who makes it...
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious as well. My FFE kit came with one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one off of the EE to go on one of my guns and was really suprised how nice they are. They seem very sturdy and have a nice finish. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet so I don't know how well they sight in but it is constructed well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
i got one for my dad's black rifle....

They surprisingly aren't bad--- they actually are accurate and hold a zero =)
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got one about a month ago.  I really like it and it is well built, not cheap and flimsy.  I will probably buy another one.  It's my only carry handle so I have no comparisons, but it is damn nice for 30 bucks!

Jeremiah
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for bringing up the question about Command Arms. It looks like I will be ordering one of their handles as well. :)
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a FFE carry handle and really like it...nice solid adjustments with positive clicks...not gonna be spinning the adjuster when you move your hand around it...
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Ordered. Sounds like a solid deal for budget builds. Should be here in a few days. $31 at aimsurplus.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The ones from CCA are China made. But they are better than any other chinese ones. A guy at my last local gunshow was selling about 10 of the CCA ones for $20 each, I about bought one but I dont need a carry handle sight.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a CCA one. Beats spending $75 from the other guys.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I use CAA VFG and pistol grips on my ARs and highly recommend them.  Take a look at those too.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to know, I always wondered about that...

Anyone try their Gripod clone?
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info.  I just ordered one.  I've been wanting to get a spare carry handle, but I couldn't get myself to pay top dollar.  I hope it works well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]

I was at a gun show this last weekend and looked at 3 one being the Command Arms and another a Bushmaster also a DPMS one,

The biggest thing that could be seen other then the CA having no forge mark is that they are just a tad bit loser then the rest on the side to side play and thats about it.

There are some out there that do not have the slot in the finger knob for tightening the handle onto the rifle I think there pretty much all airsoft stuff and not as good.

I was looking because my kit from FFE had one like that as well, I think it is the same as the CA  stuff ?

Hope that helps,

yls
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#14]
What's FFE?
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What's FFE?

Fire For Effect rifle kit company, i've read that CMMG makes there kits
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an update that I got my A2 carry handle from AIM today.  It was the CAA mentioned and I'd have to say that I'm dissapointed.  I know you get what you pay for and this is a real piece of crap.  I could see using it on a .22 upper, but for anything else, it really is no good.  It isn't even long enough to cover the entire upper receiver.  To those of you that like it, more power to you, but if anyone else is thinking of getting one of these over spending a few more hard earned dollars, I'd recommend saving your money and investing it on something of more quality.  Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/19/2008 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just an update that I got my A2 carry handle from AIM today.  It was the CAA mentioned and I'd have to say that I'm dissapointed.  I know you get what you pay for and this is a real piece of crap.  I could see using it on a .22 upper, but for anything else, it really is no good.  It isn't even long enough to cover the entire upper receiver.  To those of you that like it, more power to you, but if anyone else is thinking of getting one of these over spending a few more hard earned dollars, I'd recommend saving your money and investing it on something of more quality.  Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Hmmm, you are definitely entitled to your opinion but what do you find crappy about it? I'm not on a CAA bandwagon or anything and this is the only CAA item I own. Mine covers the entire upper receiver on the RRA Car A4 it is mounted on, is solid, locks up tight, and has an excellent finish. If mine was crappy I would have spent more money and gotten something else but for $30 bucks it was an excellent deal. Same reason I spent $25 on a GG&G vfg as opposed to the Larue Fug. I have put all top of the line stuff on my MRP but couldn't justify spending that much on a vfg that I might not even keep on there. I am sure there are carry handles that are much nicer but for at least double the price. So in conclusion, of course there is much better out there but for $30-$35 I am happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:04:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Posted by CaptSheiss;
It isn't even long enough to cover the entire upper receiver

How short is it? Removeable carry handles are not supposed to cover the entire upper receiver. When mounted so the front of the CH is even with the front of the upper receiver, there should be about a 1/2" gap from the rear of the CH and the rear of the upper receiver.

Link Posted: 8/20/2008 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know anything about mako?
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Posted by CaptSheiss;
It isn't even long enough to cover the entire upper receiver

How short is it? Removeable carry handles are not supposed to cover the entire upper receiver. When mounted so the front of the CH is even with the front of the upper receiver, there should be about a 1/2" gap from the rear of the CH and the rear of the upper receiver.

It sounds like that is the problem.  The only experience I have with detachable carry handles is the RRA entry tactical carry handle on it now.  I don't like how it looks, but it covers the entire top of the receiver so I figured all of them did.  Thanks for the info!  As for the finish.  I find it to be as good as any other cheap finish.  It is ok, and like I said, it is good for a .22, but I think I'll just save my money and get a major manufacturer's carry handle in the future
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Been searching for the same answer to whether it is even worth spending the 30+ $ to find out. I am getting ready to order one soon.
Need something to hold me over til the mbus is available.

Any new reviews before I order ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I disassembled the rear sight on another Chinese made carry handle.It's nowhere close to being mil-spec.There is not an index screw or an index spring .there is no way to adjust the index on the elevation knob.I put it back together sent it back for a refund.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks about the same as the UTG carry handles other than CAA on the side and 10$ less. I ordered one of the UTG's from sportsman to hold me over untill i can figure out and fund a optic and buis.  It came all jacked up so made a call and they shipped another out with a payed return label. The new one seems fine as far as fitment with solid clicks 6/3 ect.. Heres some pics of the first. Sorry none of the side but they have no markings. Notice the bent knob, offcenter marking and bent peep.

EDIT: This carry handle does allow you to index.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/junkxp/th_4.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/junkxp/th_2.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/junkxp/th_3.jpg
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a caa and so far so good!
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just got one about a month ago.  I really like it and it is well built, not cheap and flimsy.  I will probably buy another one.  It's my only carry handle so I have no comparisons, but it is damn nice for 30 bucks!

Jeremiah

Yep, I have one as well... beats paying 75-125 for the same thing.  It's solid and seems to be made well and holds a zero.  I can't complain at all for 30 bucks.  Going to get another 3 for my other flat tops.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top