Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:00:05 PM EDT
After all, it is a parts gun more or less.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#1]
nope
I've built a couple parts guns with misc manufacturers
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I am probably putting an LMT upper and lower together but i would probably duracoat it later so the color wouldn't bug me
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
absolutely not.  I like buying what I like, and putting them together.  A Fudd might think a Bushmaster is worth more at resale than build put together from EE vendors here, but a real ARFcommer will know the difference.

If you are not planning on selling them, then there is no point in worrying.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am probably putting an LMT upper and lower together but i would probably duracoat it later so the color wouldn't bug me

Get you an LMT on the cheap...I like it.

I wouldn't let the color bother me unless they are REALLY off.  I bought a upper from a vendor here that was bright purple.  Don't know how it slipped by QC, but they swapped it.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So long as it's not the off-sized Colt pins with a standard upper - No.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
no
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Nope.

I have two Stag lowers and one CavAid lower.  My uppers are CMMG and Fulton Armory/Delton.

I play musical upper and lowers all the time with no problems.

ZM
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Parts is parts.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
See the recent Frankengun thread that was started.  Some of the best AR's are total mutt guns.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
absolutely not.  I like buying what I like, and putting them together.  A Fudd might think a Bushmaster is worth more at resale than build put together from EE vendors here, but a real ARFcommer will know the difference.

If you are not planning on selling them, then there is no point in worrying.

So true, true. I think mine are worth to me anyway like a million bucks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
See the recent Frankengun thread that was started.  Some of the best AR's are total mutt guns.

Nobody makes a configuration like my Carbine or my Rifle.  

I love making guns in the garage.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
If they're both dimensionally correct, it shouldn't matter.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I think on here you will see the majority of people have mixed and matched guns. Most lowers from a quality manufacturer are identical except the roll mark anyway. I see absolutely no point in paying a premium for a name on a gun you are putting together yourself anyway. The upper on the other hand there are varying degrees of quality and choose the best that you want.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
i plan on buying a good upper and probably refinishing the whole thing in OD green
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#16]
does not matter as long as they are all QUALITY parts
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
does not matter as long as they are all QUALITY parts

so it would be okay to mix DPMS w/ LMT?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm giving spikes a shout today.

i got a spikes upper today to put together with a spikes lower.  i cant wait to get the pics and range report up.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]
A high percentage of AR's you see today are of mixed recevier combos. To echo again, as long as your receivers are built to spec then you can mix & match all day. Realize though, there is always a chance you can get one receiver that is out of spec & will give you headache trying to mate with the other. I never had a problem with this until I recently received an upper with an out of spec receiver that would not fit my lowers. It happens & this one was returned to factory. I went with another brand & now I'm back to no problems with fit again. Most manufacturers will put out lemons 1% (& that's prolly a high percentage) of the time but the other 99% of the time you have no worries. Some may be on the tight side & others can be loose depending on how much wear you have on one of the receivers. Mix, match & enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Not at all, however, I usually try to match teflon coated uppers with teflon coated lowers and vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I tried one day out of boredom...and my Sabre LOWER would not mate (take down pin) with my DPMS UPPER. Whose to blame? My thoughts are that the DPMS is at fault. But hey, I probably could have mated them with a vice and hammer!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I replaced all my lowers with Spike's and CavArms. I have to mix and match now
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Not a problem mixing DPMS with LMT. I will be putting my LMT MRP on my DPMS lower, I will let you know how it fits when it comes in. While I don't plan on buying any DPMS uppers, thier lowers are just as good as any.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top