Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2008 5:33:17 PM EDT
I finished my lower out with a DPMS parts kit and a CAA 6 position stock with mag holder on the side Now on to the upper, Should I build my own or should I buy one complete? I don't have a ton of money to spend, and I kinda want to build one to have an undersyanding of what it takes but then again I really want to shoot the thing and can't hardly wait to go shooting... What would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
LaRue QUAD Sniper System
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]

You never said what it's going to be used for like is a 16" bbl better then a 20 " sect ?
also what type of ammo is going to be used for the most part 55 gn or heavy stuff all this needs to be related to us for help.

This will help to say what rate of twist is needed say 1-9" best all around or 1-7" or even a 1-8" works great for lighter and heavy.

For your first one go with a ready made upper with BCG included its the easy way for the first  one ,and your ready to go fast.

For a few more dollars you have a LPC and stock to they can be spare parts for this one or for your next build, On the other hand you can sell them and make the upper even cheaper !

Something worth thinking about at lest ?

Best of luck,

yls--@;-)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I found one on rangersales.com it's a 24" barrel and it's free floated for $445 without a bolt, carrier or chargng handle. So for $545 I can have a complete upper that should be fairly accurate. I believe that is a 1:9 twist and the barrel is fluted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You didn't say what you are looking for or to do with it but 24" is a long barrel. You can get a "normal" length AR in 16-20" for a few dollars cheaper from a good company with BCG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to do some target shooting and maybe some light hunting. Mostly for targets though. I talked to a guy at the local gun shop and he said that the 20" is going to achieve the same accuracy with lighter weight then the 24". So I think I'm gonna go with the cheaper lighter alternative. I think I'm gonna shoot mostly the 55gr bullets so would the 1:9 twist work
for it? Also what does BCG stand for?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
RRA ,varmint,preditor .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I want to do some target shooting and maybe some light hunting. Mostly for targets though. I talked to a guy at the local gun shop and he said that the 20" is going to achieve the same accuracy with lighter weight then the 24". So I think I'm gonna go with the cheaper lighter alternative. I think I'm gonna shoot mostly the 55gr bullets so would the 1:9 twist work
for it? Also what does BCG stand for?

BCG=Bolt/Carrier group
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
thank you for clearing that up, also what is LPC?

I checked out the LaRue Sniper setup and the RRA varmiont and predator  uppers and I like the LaRue but I could never spend a grand on an upper, I was thinking something along the lines of 450 to 550 dollars. I don't mind having free float but I do want a Quad rail setup, and I;m not sure about flip up sights yet, so for now just the upper in a 20" barrel with a rail and BCG is all I'm looking for
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
it was probably meant to be LPK, which is lower parts kit. honestly though, with a decent quadrail, you'll want to free-float, and even with a basic upper plus the quad rail and bcg, you'd be around a grand anyway.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top