Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:11:30 PM EDT
First I want to thank everyone for all the help.
Upper:
Colt flattop upper with M4 feedramps,
20” Chrome lined barrel 5.56 1/7,
Bolt Assembly and Charging handle,
For $325 Used with a round count around 1000.
Dumped the A2 handguards, Front Sight, A2 flash hider and Replaced with Free Float Tube, Gas Block, Phantom flash hinder for $90
Lower:
Double Star Lower $125
Standard Lower kit $60
Vltor Stock $120
Buffer and Tube $40
Magpul Grip $35
2 PMag $30
Bipod $25
Rail and V. Grip $15
Paint $30 and lots of experimenting
4-16x40 illuminated Center Point Scope $80
Grand Total for the Build $975
I still would like to get a two stage trigger, iron sights, new scope mount, and someday a better scope.  I have a mag that I experiment on with the pine straw painting method, I am thinking about doing this to the whole gun.  I test fired about 100 rounds with the upper before all the mods on a buddies lower, but haven’t fired it since the mods and painting.  I plan to test fire and try out the scope soon.  I will keep update on how that goes. So do you think I should do the pinestraw or leave it the way it is?

UPDATE 7/9: Took it to the 25 meter range today and fired about 150 rounds.  I think I need to get a  two stage trigger and better bipods.  At 25 meter it was shooting well on target.  The magazine button was a little tight, but I fixed that.  Put a target up at 15 meter and did some rapid fire with the illuminated scope that worked out great.  The downfall was the rifle is heavy and not designed for that kind of shooting, but it was fun.  I noticed after the last 30 rounds the paint on the barrel was bubbled and decided to call it a day.  After the barrel cooled down the bubbles went away.  I’m going to try the pine straws design to the rifle.  I just have to decide if I should paint the scope.  If I paint the scope I will mostly tape off the lettering and number.

UPDATE 7/12: Try the pine straw design today and jacked it all up.  I going to strip it down and try it again.

UPDATE 7/13: I strip the old paint off today and repaint the base coat, then I complete the pine straw design and it turned out good.  I will post pics soon!

UPDATE 7/17: I finished all the touch up and let it dry for a few days.  Here is the how it came out.  I also picked up a Matech BUIS in the EE for $65, but still looking for a flip up front sight.

Link Posted: 7/8/2008 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty sweet man
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Moved to the first post.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Yes try out the pine straw pattern it almost looks sorta like a model from the picture, doing that may just give it some texture and depth to look even more mean.

If you don't like it you can always redo it and have fun while your doing whatever with it, Thats one of the great things about building the AR rifles so many option's.

Thats what my one my friends has done with a AK74 looks nice but he changes it just about every other month.

Should be a great longer range rifle for targets and pest control.

Best, -----   yls --------#:-)
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
nice
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
SWEET!  Nice job.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool. Nice build!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes try out the pine straw pattern it almost looks sorta like a model from the picture, doing that may just give it some texture and depth to look even more mean.

If you don't like it you can always redo it and have fun while your doing whatever with it, Thats one of the great things about building the AR rifles so many option's.

Thats what my one my friends has done with a AK74 looks nice but he changes it just about every other month.

Well try out the pine straw pattern and I don't think it looks like a model anymore.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a bad ass paint job. Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
That's the nicest finish on a gun that I have ever seen. Great job!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well try out the pine straw pattern and I don't think it looks like a model anymore.

Your right it looks a lot better now, Great job.

looks very usable now !

yls

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]
is that Duracoat or krylon or some other paint entirely love the pine straw paint job
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
MUCH better after the pinestraw...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
is that Duracoat or krylon or some other paint entirely love the pine straw paint job

I used krylon camo spray paints, clear coat, and corn broom instead of pine straw.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
nice paintjob (and rifle)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice job on the paint job!

I like that a lot.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top