Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2008 2:24:24 PM EDT
A couple friends of mine built there own ar15's so im thinking about building one, im wondering what you guys think of the products i want to use? I want to buy spikes tactical sl15 stripped lower and get a dpms basic lower parts kit, and a 10 round armalite 5.56 magazine both from spikes tactical. Also a bullet button, and magpul ctr carbine stock from tenpercent firearms. And finally a 24" tactical upper half with a 1-9 twist from model 1 sales. There are also a few options with that upper half, would i need them? like the bolt carrier and charging handle? Do you guys think this would work good together, are there any other parts i would need, I do live in california, so i believe i order the stripped lower then register it, then add all the parts afterwords right???

thanks ken
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good to me! Although you may want to check up on your state's laws,I'm not too familiar with them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A couple friends of mine built there own ar15's so im thinking about building one, im wondering what you guys think of the products i want to use? I want to buy spikes tactical sl15 stripped lower and get a dpms basic lower parts kit, and a 10 round armalite 5.56 magazine both from spikes tactical. Also a bullet button, and magpul ctr carbine stock from tenpercent firearms. And finally a 24" tactical upper half with a 1-9 twist from model 1 sales. There are also a few options with that upper half, would i need them? like the bolt carrier and charging handle? Do you guys think this would work good together, are there any other parts i would need, I do live in california, so i believe i order the stripped lower then register it, then add all the parts afterwords right???

thanks ken

You live in Commiefornia... The configuration you list isn't legal.  Go talk with some of the members over in the PRK hometown forum, they'll hook you up with what type of highly neutered & bastardized AR is legal (fixed magazine, or no pistol grip).

- AG
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#3]
ya california sucks balls, i am very new to this, but i have read alot online, and i have read the law, the law states that you can have what they call evil features, pistol grip, forearm, and so forth, if you have a fixed 10 rd mag, or you can have a detachable mag with no evil parts, the law defines a fixed mag as "a mag that cannot be removed without the use of a tool" so basically if it cant  be removed by hand.  I know i would be in the grey area if i used the bullet button, basically if i got caught i may or may not get in trouble.  But other than that is it legal?  And are the parts i want good quality parts, i know this gun will probably be heavy, but im 6'2" 260 lbs, so im not a squirt, i will put a bipod on it, and possibly a front grip, with a big ol' scope.  

Thank you for your responses, i will check out the el crapo cali section lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
oh and i cant find the prk forum?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
oh and i cant find the prk forum?

PRK = People's Republic of Kalifornia...

The California section under Hometown.

With that, although many people claim that model one is fine (and for uppers sans bolts they probavly are, fit and finish isn't great in the examples I've seen, but they'll probably work fine), there are MUCH better choices.  J&T comes to mind for a budget...

- AG
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
ohk, so model 1 isnt the greatest quality?  basically you get what you pay for, that upper is only 400 dollars i think.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
you really should not try to make a "franken-gun". I live in CA also, but try to get it all from the same comany. I DO ahve a hand full of spikes lowers (they do look friggin' cool) that I got from the cow palace (buy 5 get one free, how can you pass up that deal?). Anyways....the experience I have had is....My first build was a Stag lower, Stag lpk, Stag upper (and a few magpul goodies) and it FIT FLAWLESSLY. My second build was a spikes lower, stag lpk and an Oly 5.45 upper......with a file and about 20 minutes, I finally got the upper to fit (though OLY says their stuff 'fits tighter" cause its "match grade". At any rate....FOR ME....My chi is in balance when I know all my parts match and are made for each other.
Spikes is cool for project builds, I thought of spending 550 for the .22 spikes upper with the fake can on it. then when you fire it,  you WILL turn heads. (expect for the fact that you got little brass flying instead of big brass flying...
Anyways...good luck with your build....and may there be many more in the future.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#8]
cool, that does make sense, i will check spikes out to see what uppers they have

thanks
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top