Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/4/2008 9:44:42 AM EDT
I was rummaging through my spare parts today, and I noticed I have 2 types of firing pins. Some had a larger collar. Thinking I was crazy, I did a search online, and there are discussions on this, but it's all vague.

Hive Mind:

What is the difference, if any, between the two types of firing pins? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered the same thing for a while.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, www.biggerhammer.net has some information on firing pins - I believe you are looking at an older firing pin vs a newer one here but cannot access the Biggerhammer site from work here so I cannot be definative w/ my comments......

Check it out,
mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
i took a look. i found specs for an ar15 firing pin. he also compares different hammer types. i did not find a comparison on the types of firing pins.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The large ring on a simi-AR FP is designed to get caught on the flat step of the hammer in order to avoid a out of battery ignition if the disconnector fails to capture the hammer.

Or so says Armalite/Colt in the book "Black Rifle II."
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The large collar is an M16 style pin. The small collar is an SP1 Ar15 style pin. The firing pin collar was reduced so the the SP1 style parts would function correctly. The firing pin collar is exposed on the SP1 style carrier because of the milled ramp. The firing pin collar would hang on the hammer notch most of the time if the collar was not reduced instead of just when the disconnector failed. There are some pins that were sold as Ar15 style pins that are larger than they should be for a AR15 SP1 style pin but smaller than a M16 style pin.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If your bolt carrier covers the firing pin you can use either one.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
once again the hive mind knows the answer...nicely done. thanks.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top