Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 9:47:37 AM EDT
Since the Cav-Aid lowers are starting to ship today, I thought I'd start to figure out what I need to do to put it together.  

Also, I think it'd be great for others to post pictures of your "Cav-Aid" builds as they come together.

So?  What needs to be done?  Any tips or advice?  I found this in another thread:

Quoted:
Heres the directions from Cavrms site

CAV-15 MKII Build Instructions

Your receiver carries a lifetime replacement warrantee, if it is determined your receiver broke due to normal use, we will replace it for free. If your receiver breaks due to abuse or negligent use, there will be a nominal fee ($30.00 plus shipping).

Cavalry Arms recommends that you have a factory certified CAV-15 Armorer or competent gunsmith assemble your stripped CAV-15 MKII receiver.  If it is determined that damage or function issues are a result of improper assembly all warranties will be voided.

Notes to Gunsmiths and Armorers:

* Takedown Pins:  Use the supplied speed pins to secure your upper receiver to your CAV-15 lower receiver.  If you lose or misplace the supplied pins, replacement pins can be ordered from Cavalry Arms at a cost of $5.00 a piece.

* The CAV-15 MKII lower receiver uses a carbine buffer and spring.

* The CAV-15 MKII lower receiver uses standard mil-spec fire control pins.  Though the area of the receiver that accepts the hammer pin is wider than aluminum AR15 receivers, it uses a standard fire control pins.  Simply center the pin in the hole, and ensure it catches on the J-pin in the hammer.

* Check all pinholes before you Assemble gun! Parts vary slightly between manufacturers and some parts may fit tighter than others, especially the safety selector detent.

* Safety selector detent pin/spring load from the top. The spring may need to be trimmed for proper fit.  The top of the detent should sit at 0.20” (+/- 0.020) from the base of the selector hole.

* Bolt hold open spring will need to be trimmed 1 to 1½ coils for the last round hold-open to function with older/weak magazines.

* The 5/64th roll pin attached to this sheet is to capture your buffer detent pin and spring.

For questions regarding assembly or information on becoming a Cavalry Arms Corp certified CAV-15 Armorer, call us at 480-833-9685 or e-mail [email protected]

So, it sounds like I need a normal LPK and a carbine buffer / spring.  Anything else?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the search engine.  Many Cav Arms builds shown in this forum.  Mine was a lightweight pencil barrel carbine that came in at 6 lbs as I remember.  Be sure to get a carbine buffer and spring, not the longer rifle version.  Simple build with only a couple of differences from the norm.  Cav used to have instructions taped to the receivers to tell you what to do.  If you don't have it check the website.  Best of luck and write (PM) if you have problems.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so I've got my CavAid lower on the way.

I need the lower parts to complete it.

I need an upper.

So, who's got plinker-grade parts cheap enough that I can afford to order a 2nd CavAid lower?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've found  a couple of other related links:

building the cav arms lower

cav arms picture thread

Any other good links out there?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top