Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/3/2008 4:20:25 AM EDT
I am about ready to order my upper from Del-ton.  But I have a question.  The trend seems to be a flat top upper.  My question is, how does a full size front sight affect the use of an optic sitting right on top of the upper.  Does the FSB get in the way?  It looks like it would.  A related question is, If I get an A-2 upper, is the optic mounted on top of the carry handle sitting so high that is is awkward?

Super Noob questions but still......Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
the FSB can be a bother for some people, others don't seem to mind it.

i didn't like it, so i went with a free floated rail and a folding front and rear sight.

if you're using a red dot type sight, i find that the fixed FSB makes the sight picture a bit too "busy" for lack of a better word.

something like an ACOG however, if it's over 3-4x the FSB will just be a barely noticeable shadow in the lower portion of the window.

as far as optics on an A2 type upper, they're a bit high but not unreasonably so, i would certainly suggest trying before you buy, though.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
With a 2-7x32 Nikon on my otherwise stock M4gery I couldn't see the FSB even on 2 power. I don't understand how it works, but it does.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure if you're referring to a red-dot style optic or not but I use an EOTech 512 with fixed front sight base on flat-top M4gery.  I am using a perfect Co-witness without problem...the front sight sort of disappears for me when I concentrate on the target or the EOTech.  As another option, I've used a friends carbine with fixed FSB and an Aimpoint with riser using a 1/3 co-witness which puts the front sight lower in your optic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
At anything over 4x you won't see the FSB at all, at 2-3x you may get a shadow, this is somewhat subjective as well as relative to the optic in question and may some something to do w/objective dia/etc.
As mentioned, optics work ok mounted on the carry handle, but you'll likely prefer the flat-top version. Much more practical.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top