Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2008 4:13:01 PM EDT
I know this is another one of those whose best questions that has been answered before, but I have not found the answer using the Search function.  I am putting together my first AR15 and I am going towards .204 Ruger.  I am hoping for a threaded barrel to add a suppressor at a later date and also leaning towards a chrome bolt carrier.  RangerSales, Model1Sales and PKFirearms are in my price range.  Model1Sales offers the threaded barrel, PKFirearms offers the Young NM Bolt and RangerSales offers the threaded barrel with some type of NM Bolt.  All three use E.R. Shaw barrels, so I would assume they are equal on that point.  Depending on the brand of NM bolt from Ranger Sales, it looks like my best get it all in one place option.  Is there something about any of these companies and their products I should be aware of?  Also, is White Oak Armament superior in accuracy or quality to the point I should just pay the premium and forget the NM bolt and threaded barrel to afford a WOA upper?

Thank  You,
DamMan
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The White Oak upper is popular at my club.  WOP uses Kriegers and similar top notch barrels.  WOA uses Wilson barrels.  My RRA with a Wilson barrel is an absolute tack driver so that barrel maker knows what they're doing.  I'd have no heartburn paying a bit more for the WOA and knowing its quality vs. other options.

John Holliger is an accomplished service rifle shooter.  That's meaningful for quality, future advice and resale.  I like suppressors but are they very beneficial with supersonic loads?  The .204 is based on an extremely fast load that would be ineffective at subsonic speed.  I don't know much about that - just throwing it out there.  Someone else will know firsthand.

Either way, suppressors are great and I bet threading the end of the barrel will not cost much.  Give John a call.  Talking with him for a few minutes builds confidence in his product.  We can't get that with the others you're considering.  I recently spent $200 on extras like another bipod and some other bolt on stuff.  It's amazing how much we spend on bolt on crap without a lot of consideration but we scrutinized a hundred dollar difference on the rifle.  I bet all but the wealthy among us are guilty of this!  I plan to remove my RRA barrel and have a friend turn threads in the shop at work before cyroing it.  I'll give him a case of beer.  Maybe you have a similar friend.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you 30rd.  I will check with WOA for a total cost on their upper.  I guessed that they are better than the others, but at least nobody had anything bad to say about Model 1, Ranger or PK, so I will just see where my budget is at.

DamMan
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both WOA and PK uppers in .223.  Both are great and I have been inside of both of their shops.
You can't go wrong with either of those two!
RRA15
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Life has somehow gotten busy the last few days, so I haven't called any of the .204 upper suppliers I asked about.  Hopefully I will get a call in to White Oak soon.

DamMan
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top