Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2008 1:11:07 PM EDT
I am building my first AR and am getting ready to do the upper.  I had originally planned to go with the standard front sight base.  I will have an Eotech on it and hope to never use the iron sights.  My upper will be carbine length with a 14.5" barrel and pinned flash suppressor.

So with that being said I am considering the YHM flip up front sight that bolts on instead of being pinned.  Since my supressor will be pinned, this would also allow me to install and remove a free float handguard if needed.

Do you guys that have the YHM clamp on front flip sight like it?  If you will post some pictures of your setup.

Also on this topic, the forend cup that sits right behind the standard front sight base...how is this attached and how does it come into play with the YHM flip up mounted?

Here is the sight that I am thinking about.
http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/yhm-9394.jpg

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you go with the YHM FF BUIS the hand guard cap can either be left installed if staying with standard mounted hand guards. Or, removed if going with FF HG’s.

As far as the quality of the YHM BUIS, I’m very pleased with mine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle and great pictures.  I can see now that the barrel has a step in it where the FSB goes.  So I assume that cup just wedges in between the FSB and the step in the barrel.  Thanks for the info that is just what I needed to know and your pictures were enough for me to decide to go with the YHM Folding front sight.  I think I will like it better where I can fold the front and rear sights down and have a clear view through the Eotech.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to help.  

I too think you’ll be pleased with the YHM front BUIS.

One problem I had with running the EOTech with a fixed A2 FSB was how busy the sight picture seemed. With the rear BUIS and front BUIS folded you should have no problems.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 of the YHM fold down front sites and I like them, especially with my eotech.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Also just wanted to point something out on QUIB's setup, notice in the closeup, the mark showing the screw is lined up correctly? A lot of people say screw on FSB's don't work because they will eventually unscrew. QUIB shows the solution nicely, mark 'em and check them when you shoot and you will be GTG.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
Also just wanted to point something out on QUIB's setup, notice in the closeup, the mark showing the screw is lined up correctly? A lot of people say screw on FSB's don't work because they will eventually unscrew. QUIB shows the solution nicely, mark 'em and check them when you shoot and you will be GTG.

I noticed that and thought to myself it was a great idea.  I figure if you use locktite for the 1st line of defense and then mark them like QUIB did for a 2nd line of defense....you should not have any problems.  

I have read the post were people swear that you will have problems with clamp on sights...but I have had deer rifles my whole life and all have had scopes that screw on and I have never had one come loose and I promise my deer rifle (.300 Win Mag) has lots more shock and viberation due to recoil as well as riding in a gun rack on my 4 wheeler for several miles each season.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
If you buy a 14.5in barrell and you don't have a license for a shorter than 16in barrell does the 14.5 come with the flash hider already pined on or do you have to get it pinned on after you get them?

With that said if it comes with the suppressor pinned on how do you remove the front sight and handgaurd cup without removeing the supressor?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you buy a 14.5in barrell and you don't have a license for a shorter than 16in barrell does the 14.5 come with the flash hider already pined on or do you have to get it pinned on after you get them?

With that said if it comes with the suppressor pinned on how do you remove the front sight and handgaurd cup without removeing the supressor?

They come both ways, some manufacturers pre-pin them on, others sell them without the suppresor on, which will technically make you a felon if you have a non pistol/SBR  lower to put it on. Without cutting something (remove the pinned suppresor=PITA or cut off FSB and cup), they aren't coming off. That's why the clamp on FSB is nice, itr can be removed without being ruined. Also note, once the cup and FSB are off, they aren't going back on without removing the suppresor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

They come both ways, some manufacturers pre-pin them on, others sell them without the suppresor on, which will technically make you a felon if you have a non pistol/SBR  lower to put it on. Without cutting something (remove the pinned suppresor=PITA or cut off FSB and cup), they aren't coming off. That's why the clamp on FSB is nice, itr can be removed without being ruined. Also note, once the cup and FSB are off, they aren't going back on without removing the suppresor.

so how do you get the original front sight post off so that you can put on free floats and a gas block?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

so how do you get the original front sight post off so that you can put on free floats and a gas block?

To answer your questions....it depends on which route you go in purchasing the short barrel.

1.  You can buy a 14.5" barrel with the supressor already pinned in place to make it legal for you to install on your lower.  This setup is geared towards people that do not want to change there front sight or install a free float forearm.  If you have this setup and you want to install a clamp on front sight or gas block you will have to cut the existing front sight base off with a dremel or cut off the pinned supressor and slide the front sight base off and then have to re-pin a new supressor.

2.  You can buy a 14.5" barrel that does not have the supressor pinned.  It is legal to own the short barrel as long as you don't install the upper and the lower.  If you buy the barrel with the suppressor not pinned then you can do whatever you want as far as installing free float forearms, front sights, gas blocks, etc.  Then if you have the tools and know how...you can pin the supressor in place or you can pay someone to do it.

Here is the route that I am going.  I am going to buy the 14.5" barrel and a Phantom supressor and pin it myself after I install my forearm.  I have the tools and know how to do it.  There are several reasons that I am going this route:

- I can order the barrel without a front sight base meaning that it will not be drilled for the taper pins and the barrel finish will be uniform. (sometimes there is no finish under the front sight base.  This is because the builder installed the front sight base on the barrel before applying the finish.)

- I can install a free float tube and a clamp on/flip up front sight without marring up the finish on the barrel and without having to drive pins and remove a front sight that I am not going to us in the first place.

- After I am finished if the need ever comes up to take my free float forearm off....I can do so.  

I hope that answers your questions.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
where can you get a 14.5in barrel without the front post already on it?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#12]

You can get barrels without FSB from most major manufacturers DPMS, Model 1, Bushmaster etc. .... if not, you can easily just take them off.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked on their sites and they only sell with FSB's, do you have to contact them and request one?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
I looked on their sites and they only sell with FSB's, do you have to contact them and request one?

You are not going to have much luck finding them online listed that way, but most will be happy to sell you one that way if you contact them directly.

Steve at Adco Firearms will pin the supressor for $30....I would check with him and you might be able to get the barrel that you want without the front sight base and the supressor already pinned.

adcofirearms.com/
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#15]
i've used those YHMs to good effect and i like em...they arent as refined and nice as a few others out there, but they work

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had very good luck with the YHM front sights, and like Quib, I torquesealed the screws (you can use model paint or nail polish for that as well). Check out the barrels offered by CMMG, you can find the 14.7" tubes both ways.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top