Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2008 7:03:16 AM EDT
My friend has a standard J&T 16" HBAR barrel.  He wants to have it fluted to reduce the weight.  I told him it would probably be more cost effective to sell the barrel and buy a new one that's fluted.  Am I steering him in the right direction or is maybe fluting the existing barrel not as expensive as I think it would be?  Fluting the entire barrel, not just under the handguards.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
ADCO does barrel fluting. Check their web site for prices.

With that said, if I was your friend, I’d sell the barrel and use the proceeds towards a new M4 profile barrel, or a light weight pencil barrel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#2]
bump
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ADCO does barrel fluting. Check their web site for prices.

With that said, if I was your friend, I’d sell the barrel and use the proceeds towards a new M4 profile barrel, or a light weight pencil barrel.

+1

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Dremel it!
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fluting looks nice, but does not reduce weight as much as re-profiling under the HGs, on an HBAR. Fluting the entire thing would run about $120, profiling runs $64.

Whats the turn around time on something like that...i have a DS HBAR comming and im not a big fan of the HBAR look, the weight doesnt bother me its just the thick pipe look of it, i think some flutes would just accent the barrel enough to not make me want to sell it right away...and for 64$?  hell why not..even for 120$ to get the whole thing done, would make the barrel worth that much more when did sell it..

J
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Fluting looks nice, but does not reduce weight as much as re-profiling under the HGs, on an HBAR. Fluting the entire thing would run about $120, profiling runs $64.

Whats the turn around time on something like that...i have a DS HBAR comming and im not a big fan of the HBAR look, the weight doesnt bother me its just the thick pipe look of it, i think some flutes would just accent the barrel enough to not make me want to sell it right away...and for 64$?  hell why not..even for 120$ to get the whole thing done, would make the barrel worth that much more when did sell it..

J

Yah no shit. Hell, I dont mind my HBAR now. But for $120 or so I wouldnt mind have some flutes cut. Just for cool factor. What is the turn around time for something like this??? And would I have to strip my upper down to just the bbl? or could I just send the whole upper -Minus: HGs and BCA and BUIS and all the easy things to take off??? Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top