Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2008 9:07:18 PM EDT
     I'VE ALWAYS BEEN A CARBINE GUY AND NEVER HAD A FULLSIZE AR, NOW I WANA BUILD A LONG RANGE PRECISION RIFLE AND HAVE SOME QUESTIONS. FIRST OF ALL I DONT LIKE BULL BARREL ARS SO I WANA STAY AWAY FROM THAT BUT HOW MUCH DIFFRENCE IS A 20IN GONA MAKE OVER A 16IN WHEN IT COMES TO ACCURACY/RANGE?
WHAT IS THE EFECTIVE RANGE OF THE 5.56 ROUND(REALISTICLY). I PLAN ON STICKING WITH YOUR STANDARD 55GR BULLETS, UNLESS THATS GONA BE A PROBLEM AT LONG RANGE(I'M THINKING 3-600 YARDS) SO WHAT TWIST DO YALL SUGEST? ANY SUGESTIONS ON BARREL MANUFACTURE AND OPTICS WOULD BE GREAT TOO(KEEP IN MIND I'M NOT A RICH BOY SO I CANT GET TOO CRAZY). I'VE HERD FOLKS TALK BOUT GAS SYSTEMS AND BUFFERS THAT REDUCE THE ALREADY ALMOST NON-EXISTANT RECOIL OF THE AR, YALL KNOW ANYTHING BOUT THAT? AM I FORGETING ANYTHING???
THANKS A BUNCH!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If you realy whant to do long range you will probly want to shoot a heaver bullit then 55gr.  Im no long range expert but i think a  1in9 twist rate is what you want

Also befor someone makes a smartass remark try not to use all caps people take that as yelling on the internet

ps what part of SC are you from.  Im from goose creek
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, not an AR expert, but well schooled in LR bolt guns.  for 3-600 yds you will need atleast a 69 gr or heavier bullet (prefer 75-77gr for more then 500).  I would want atleast 1:8 or 1:7 twist to stabilize the heavier bullets.  And a heavy barrel, atleast SPR profile,  it would make the  chances better at LR for more consistent groups.  Definitely need a 20", you always need all the velocity you can scrape up.  A tack driver might not be for you, if a shorter, lighter profile barrel is your quest. Might bolt gun weighs in at 15lds, dressed, I have no problems packing the damn thing around all day calling in coyotes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m also interested in this same topic.  Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced upper receiver that would be about, oh, 20 inches, heavy barrel, 1:7 twist?  Thanks allot.

DF
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm from North Augusta and my bad bout the caps I had no idea I was yelling.
Goose Creek, aint that in the low country?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I’m also interested in this same topic.  Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced upper receiver that would be about, oh, 20 inches, heavy barrel, 1:7 twist?  Thanks allot.

DF

With thise requirements I would go with a RRA Stainless barreled flat top with an FFT added.  This setup will give you a 1:8 twist HBAR with a wylde chamber at a reasonable price.  For accuracy you could spec it as a Ban upper so that it is not threaded for a FH.  The other option would be a Bushmaster Predator upper, both would do the trick, but neither is a 1:7, but how many of us really shoot 77gr bullets regularly?

Lc
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Spend the money on a Krieger 1:7.7 (I think thats the ratio). At 600yd if you want to single load shoot 80gr (they will be to long to fit in a mag). If you want to use a mag then 77gr black hills.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Goose creek is right next to CHarlston. I ment to say 1 in 7 not 1 in 9 i was thinking about what was on my carbine
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I knew it sounded familier I got friends and ken folk all up and down 17.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you load a 77gr bullet that would fit in the mag?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are building from scratch, and want something thats good for long range, why restrict yourself to 5.56/223?

Seems to me if you want to shoot 600+ yards with accuracy why not go with a larger caliber where
the bullet weights needed aren't pushing the limits of the rifle?

Theres a LOT of other AR options out there that are much better suited to long range shooting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only other AR platform I would consider is the AR-10 (.30 caliber) for long range use. This means a whole new rifle all together, and mags, and

Well I thought thats what he was talking about doing. Building a whole new rifle.

I have an LR-308 myself. I like it
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Take a look at a 6.5 Grendel.  It's ballistic performance is quite impressive, and it fits in an AR frame.  At longer distances, it outperforms even a 7.62x51.  Plenty of folks have downed deer with it.
The only drawback to it is that it doesn't quite have the same availability of aftermarket products as the 5.56...but there's still plenty to build a very nice custom rifle.

Oh and you might want to try to fix your Caps lock key.  Reading all caps text is a little irritating.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you are building from scratch, and want something thats good for long range, why restrict yourself to 5.56/223?

Seems to me if you want to shoot 600+ yards with accuracy why not go with a larger caliber where
the bullet weights needed aren't pushing the limits of the rifle?

Theres a LOT of other AR options out there that are much better suited to long range shooting.

Uh, I can answer that.  I can't see past 400 yds.
I just bought one of the CLE SMB's in 20". It outperforms me already.
They say "A man's got to know his limitations", I do.  Accurately!
*note to self, buy good 32x scope.  There goes another $700.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:02:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I want one too.

You have a MAC-10. You can't have one!  

M4-Stag,

You are right. As soon as you are "done" with your build there is something else you just found out you needed. Damn You black rifle disease!!!

John's a MAC'er?  I knew we had a lot in common, but I didn't know that.  
We got to get that man something he can use past 100 ft.
I sold mine off a long time ago.  Made by SWD, right down the street from where I worked.
Met Mitch, his son and the whole crew over time.  It was nice to sit and talk about steel fab, welding and the like as I did it too.
Ah, the good old days....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
When I built my first AR, I had pretty much the same goal in mind.  Here's what I ended up with:

Wilson 20" stainless varmint barrel, 1:8 twist from RRA
RRA Two Stage Match trigger
A2 Stock with Lead weight in the storage compartment
Free Floating tube
AR-restor hydraulic recoil buffer
Hogue Grip
Harris Bipod
Leupold 6-18x40 VXII with target turrets and fine reticle

I haven't had a good chance to test it at long ranges yet but I did get a five shot group in .72" at 100 yards a few weeks ago.  I was shooting 55 gr FMJ with 24 gr of Varget.  I have loaded up some test loads with heavier bullets and different powders to try to dial in the perfect load for this rifle.  My goal is to get it down to 1/2 MOA.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
this is what i built..
LaRue 18" 13.2 Stealth
CMMG/RRA LPK
Magpul MIAD/PRS/ladders
Harris w/LaRue mount
TG panels
Geissele Hi-Speed Trigger
LT-104/Mueller Tact.8.5-25X44
LT-137/Dr.Optic 3.5MOA Gen.4 Red Dot
LT BUIS
now,i haven`t hit the range with it yet.so i can`t toss any numbers up
hopefully sometime this month i`ll finaly she what she can do.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top