Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2008 5:54:12 PM EDT
hello all, i'm brand new to the AR world, but am ready to become addicted

i have recently decided to go ahead and make the plunge in case the new bans come into place

trying to decide if i want to build or buy a complete rifle, i mainly want it as a recreational gun, maybe shoot some varmints with it, but would also like for it to be perfectly reliable if the SHTF

not looking for a top of the line gun, price def. needs to stay under $1k

really would like something like this  ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=379128

but have no idea where to start, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if that is the rifle that you like, you could basically follow the list that is on your link.

Building is easy, just read the tacked threads at the top of page.

If you follow that list, you are basically assembling the lower and attaching the upper. There are a lot of vendors to go with. Check CMMG for the upper. The lower is available from multiple vendors.

Good luck and post pics wether you buy or build.

ETA: The link you provided has a list that even includes vendors.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
i was looking at the places he listed and was having trouble finding the same parts

is the rifle he built a "quality" one compared to others by the price?

are there any other brands that are just as good or better that would come out to about the same price?

thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If your looking for  sub moa (sub minute of accuracy) Ie less than 1in groups at 100yards. then i would buy a pre made.. I like rock river but i have heard good things about dpms and bushmaster.
If you just want a plinker i built one for under 650.00 with out rails...it's just a plan a2 battle rifle.
Accuracy is fine for what i have in it and it will group out to 200 meters it is by any stretch a tack driver.
My built one is a double star (made by winchester) It's mil spec but i'm not sure on quality of the aluminum. I've run a few thousand rounds though it and it runs like a champ.
My upper on this rifle is a rock river.
My purchased ar is a rock river around 1k.  It's tighter in  how the upper fits the lower. Both ar's go bang both function great. Outside of the tighter upper lower match the Difference is the price around 650 for the double star 1k for the rock river.
The other main difference is Resale
The rock river people will entertain giving an offer the winchester double star most shy away as most i have run into do not know that winchester makes lower receivers for ar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
not look for sub moa, just want to hit what i'm shooting at with confidence

i like the price of the DPMS A LOT, i read on another forum earlier today though that they use some parts that are not mil spec and cheaper quality

while i want a rifle for a good price, i don't want to have to worry about anything breaking

anyone have any opinions on DPMS? can get the Panther Lite for about $750 shipped to my FFL

any and all suggestions welcome

thanks
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm fairly new to the AR world and purchased a Smith M&P15A before I learned how easy it is to build your own.  I'm in the process of building two now, and it's amazing how much more you learn about your weapons when you build them yourself.  Not only will it help you troubleshoot problems down the road, but it also gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself.

Careful though...it's addictive...
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i was looking at the places he listed and was having trouble finding the same parts

is the rifle he built a "quality" one compared to others by the price?

are there any other brands that are just as good or better that would come out to about the same price?

thanks

The parts he used are of good quality. I have used CMMG barrels and like them.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I built a very nice A2 using a Spike Tactical lower and a Garrison kit.  All for less than $600.00
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
research, research, research, then build. always  build.  i don't think you could  go wrong with a rock river, dpms, or bushmaster. full complete rifles are for guy that drives a mini van. can't change oil in his mini van. and does not enjoy selecting each part of his gun to assemble to make something that is truly tailored to his purpose and taste. i say build. but you can save money getting a complete gun to buy floor mats for your baby blue, wood sticker panel, 1996 caravan. all in good fun. welcome to the addiction.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#9]
i definitely don't drive no dadgum mini van, and i NEVER WILL

think i've decided to build my own, the only part i'm really worried about is getting the right upper

i don't quite know enough to be able to understand the difference between all of them

i know i want a mid-length barrel (14.5 or 16") but not sure if a chrome-lined one will be in the budget

i guess i'm going to start shopping around for some deals
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:21:14 AM EDT
[#10]
what do you guys think about this deal? ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=382832
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
That is not a bad deal, Stag makes some good stuff. Pete at Legal Transfers is a little gruf sometimes, but I have had good service from him.

Get yourself a Stag lower and you have a complete Stag rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
what do you guys think about this deal? ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=382832

Seems like a good way to go for a complete Stag rifle IMHO.  

You could probably save $100 or more if you went with a no-name parts kit, non-chrome lined barrel.   I have two Stag lowers on which I built Model 1 kit rifles.  They have served me well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

good deal. stags good people. glad this is a mini van free post!

Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I too am a newbie to the ar world and would like to know if one builds how much does he save over buying from a company who offers a warranty?

Shipper
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Once you decide to build one the Black Rifle Disease will get you and then you will be building another then another and another.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#16]
you need to shop around your local store to check on the best prices.  If you can get one for under $800 or so, do it, if not you can build one but you may have a little trouble selling it later on if you build it yourself.  I purchased my first one from a RRA dealer and I love it and am glad I went that route.  But after having it for two years, I know what i want and it seems to be a better idea to build the next several.  Just make sure you get a flat top A3, you'll probably want the options.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
IMO definitely build.

The learning process is worth the time alone and the folks here were super helpful every step along the way.

I decided on no kits or assembled uppers as i like to jump in the deep end of the pool first and was rewarded with a beautiful, accurate and reliable rifle.

Plus it was easier than I thought it would be. On the bad side your left with the tools and knowledge to fuel your addiction for your next build.  

Here is my first one and it came in under $1k.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=370477

My current build is taking place from the other world called "reto"

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
thanks for the comments guys, think i've pretty much decided on building, now to just shop around and see what kind of deals i can find

will def. post updates along the way
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Build.  My last was a Superior lower with J & T M4 kit.  Gun is absolutely reliable and accurate.  With the right loads and the right shooter it is a sub moa gun.  Have just over $600 in the gun, optics and mounts not included.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#20]
If the ban comes into place, is all you need a lower with the serial # to have one of these guns?

Might be having to spend the money on a new tranny for my truck, so will have to put my AR plans on hold for a while, but might pick up a lower or 2

Or will i need to get my upper and everything else before the ban, if it happens?
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If the ban comes into place, is all you need a lower with the serial # to have one of these guns?

Might be having to spend the money on a new tranny for my truck, so will have to put my AR plans on hold for a while, but might pick up a lower or 2

Or will i need to get my upper and everything else before the ban, if it happens?

Any ban is in the future and no one knows what shape it could take.  I personally am not losing a lot of sleep over it.  Even if the dems control Congress and the Presidency its not a certainty they would institute a ban.  Polictically its a losing issue for them.  The last time they tried it they lost both the house and the senate.  And they remember that.  Also, SCOTUS will most likely rule the 2nd amendment is indeed an individual right, which would further dampen any drastic moves.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I got that Stag M4gery Kit from Pete at Legal Transfers.

Its a great kit, great price, Pete's shipping is quick and reasonable and you will never overpay or get substitue parts ordering from him.  I'd put it up against any of the run of the mill factory guns.  Best part is its a blast to shoot and reliable.

Whatever you get, pay the extra $50-100 to upgrade the trigger.

Pete also sells a nice Rock River kit, but get in line and wait......

Now that weve convinced you to build, how are you going to accessorize?

Optics, BIS, mags, attachments, aftermarket trigger.......So many choices
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
if you want a good rifle right out of the box, built with only mil-spec parts, you cant go wrong with stag arms, lifetime warranty, and customer service is amazing.

the model 3 stag arms i have is a tac driver for under $750, even with bulk wolf, when the shit goes down you can trust a stag
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]
ordered one of the Spike Tactical stripped lowers, can't decide if i want to get everything else in a rifle kit

how do you think the Stag upper will fit to the Spike lower?

also, does every part have to go through a FFL, or is it just the lower since it is what holds the serial # of the gun?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
ordered one of the Spike Tactical stripped lowers, can't decide if i want to get everything else in a rifle kit

how do you think the Stag upper will fit to the Spike lower?

also, does every part have to go through a FFL, or is it just the lower since it is what holds the serial # of the gun?

Just the lower has to go thru FFL... everything else a 6 year old can buy on the internet.

Check out www.mapartsinc.com I just bought a kit from them, super fast shipping, awesome quality. Apparently they get their stuff made by LMT and from government contractors.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#26]
height=8
Quoted:
If your looking for  sub moa (sub minute of accuracy) Ie less than 1in groups at 100yards. then i would buy a pre made.. I like rock river but i have heard good things about dpms and bushmaster.
If you just want a plinker i built one for under 650.00 with out rails...it's just a plan a2 battle rifle.
Accuracy is fine for what i have in it and it will group out to 200 meters it is by any stretch a tack driver.
My built one is a hester)heMy upper on this rifle is a rock river.
My purchased ar is a rock river around 1k.  It's tighter in  how the upper fits the lower. Both ar's go bang both function great. Outside of the tighter upper lower match the Difference is the price around 650 for the double star 1k for the rock river.
The other main difference is Resale
The rock river people will entertain giving an offer the winchester double star most shy away as most i have run into do not know that winchester makes lower receivers for ar.

Double Star is made IN winchester KY not by winchester but but J&T Distributing
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#27]
My first (bought, not issued) AR was a standard A2 upper on a RRA lower that was built by the guy who owns the local gun shop.  I've had a special niche for the AR15A2 since basic, so when I saw that it was $700 new... I dropped the cash.  Every other AR he ever has is a Bushy or a Colt, and even used I was always facing 850+ to buy someone elses rifle... turned out it was a Model1Sales upper, but the thing runs like a dream.  Since then I've been wanting to build my own, and I will.  My next rifle is a .308 bolt action that'll take me about 6 months to complete, but after that I'll be jumping in to an AR build from scratch.

I gotta tell you, I'm 99% sure what I'll be putting into the build, and the last few months of really digging into it to plan the weapon is a lot of fun.  Building the rifle might not be as fun as shopping for the parts...
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#28]
height=8
Quoted:
it's amazing how much more you learn about your weapons when you build them yourself.  Not only will it help you troubleshoot problems down the road, but it also gives you the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself.

Careful though...it's addictive...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top