Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2008 7:04:18 AM EDT
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PICS ON HOW THE ACCUWEDGE FITS IN A LOWER?
ANY COMMENTS ON THE ACCUWEDGE?
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a gimmick....save your money.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]

http://www.deltagearinc.com/Kit&Tools/Kit/AccuwedgeLG.jpg

It will wear your rear pin hole into an oval.
Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
i use 'em on all my AR's. I found the key is to trim them with a heated x-acto knife. I use just enough tension so I can still push the pins out with my finger. Cures the rattle that drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
i've heard flaming of these little items for years, i have not seen any lowers wear ovals in the rear take down pins holes. i honestly would like to see worn lowers, theirs much "documentation" on the internet about the worn lowers if you guys have pics, please post them. until i see ovaled lowers, my Colt will keep one in it
Link Posted: 5/1/2008 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
turn off the caps

they fit; they tighten and remove play, but other than that...
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with votefromrooftop on that one.  I have one in mine and as long as you keep it clean and dont abuse mine is still tight.
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]
One would think the movement between a poor fit would cause the hole to elongate as opposed to a tight fit wouldn't one. Pay your money and enjoy the fit....
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Best $1.25 I've ever spent on any gun. I trimmed down the bottom with a blade too. just till I could push the pin in with my fingers. tighten my upper/lower fit right up.

GREAT GREAT GREAT.

I've got thousands of round on that gun since adding it with no extra signes of wear in the pin holes
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
They do eliminate the rattle from an upper and lower that has excessive play, however, they push the upper and lower apart giving you a larger gap between the two.

Bushmaster makes a two piece take-down pin that actually sucks the upper and lower together.  The rattle is eliminated as well as ANY gap between the upper and lower.

MadDog
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, who is going to manufacture some type of cam-lock takedown pin that would make it tight but easily serviceable. Bet ya could make a million $ for it.
BTW I want 10% for the Idea please.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I ended up giving all but one of my Accuwedges away.  I found I didn't need them with any of my builds, even from old/surplus parts, and they only made taking apart and putting together the two halves harder.  Unless your upper/lower fit is REALLY bad, I don't see the need.  I kept that one wedge for the toolbox, just in case, though.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree that these are not needed in most cases, but in the case of a very loose upper/lower fit, they could be handy.  

I think a lot of people just see these and think they are some kind of must-have item and buy them when they do their first build, when they are probably more appropriate to an older, well-used rifle, than a nice tight new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#13]
The key is to trim them for a custom fit.  I think most people tend to just drop them in as is, and that could/may cause problems in the long term. Shave it down in small increments until you reach a point where the looseness in minimal, but it still only takes the normal amount of pressure to remove your TD pins.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The key is to trim them for a custom fit.  I think most people tend to just drop them in as is, and that could/may cause problems in the long term. Shave it down in small increments until you reach a point where the looseness in minimal, but it still only takes the normal amount of pressure to remove your TD pins.  

+1
excessive pressure on the pins would prolly wear the holes over time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
Bushmaster makes a two piece take-down pin that actually sucks the upper and lower together.  The rattle is eliminated as well as ANY gap between the upper and lower.
Does anyone have a link to this part?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Lot's of places carry them.   Do a search on "Accu-Wedge" to find somewhere that would charge you minimal shipping on the very small part.  

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=698479  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#17]
my groups at 100 yeards went from 3" to dime sized and I'm getting 35+ mpg on my big block
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
Lot's of places carry them.   Do a search on "Accu-Wedge" to find somewhere that would charge you minimal shipping on the very small part.  

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=698479  

Thanks for the link, I'm actually looking for the Bushmaster takedown pin... I'll have a look around Midway though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I have them in 2 of my AR's. They used to be really loose and that really bothered me. Like many others have said, I just needed to trim the bottoms a little.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PICS ON HOW THE ACCUWEDGE FITS IN A LOWER?
ANY COMMENTS ON THE ACCUWEDGE?

Hi gmac,

Please watch the cap lock.  All caps can make a post hard to read & most people consider it yelling.

Accuwedge comment.  Excessive vibrations are bad for overall accuracy.  As others have mentioned & showned per installation, all you want is for the upper & lower to fit snugly.  Not a force fit but enought to take out any slop or rattle.  You should still be able to push the take down pin with your thumb.  When I put my first AR together (a 6.8) I did notice an improvement after installing one.  The improvement wasn't huge but it was measureable.  Plus I don't like for my long guns to rattle.

Have fun,
ML Gray
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#21]
JP Enterprises make a tension pin that is supposed to be far better than a "wedge"
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
On My Ar I Drilled My Upper For The Old Colt Sized .375, And Used JB Weld To Glue The Offset Bushings In For The New .25 Pins,To Make The Lower and Upper Fit Tight.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#23]
wouldn't a dab of silcone caulk work almost as well?
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have a link to this part?

Anyone?  I searched the Bushmaster catalog simply for "pin" and got two pgs of results, but nothing like the one mentioned above.

ETA: Thanks, nhsport!

Lower Receiver Parts

"Expandable Tensioning Pin for AR15 Type Rifles"

Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Go to the Bushmaster lower receiver parts page.
Part # ARTP    $ 36.95!

Bushmaster also sells the accu-wedge

I believe Brownells has the best deal on Accu-wedge as they sell them in singles or 5 pack that is much cheeper.

When I first started with AR's I tried some Accu-Wedges and actually did some live fire testing in different conditions. I could measure no improvement in accuracy. At the time any rattle at all bothered me a lot so I used them for several years. I could care less now but still keep several in my range box and give them away to guys at the range (private club) if they feel they need them . I usually have them given back to me after a while . I have not run out from my original 5 pack .

Try them if you want , trim them if they are super tight and they don't cause any harm

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]
as others mentioned, they do not improve accuracy, just take the rattle out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I have never needed one on my builds until now.   I bought a used M4 style "Blackthorne" upper (go ahead and snicker) because it was a hundred and fifty bucks.  Well, rattle is a kind word for the fit on this one.   I guess I will be trying the accuwedge to salvage this build.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top