Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2008 3:22:07 PM EDT
I'm in the process of building another AR and I want to make this one with a bull barrel. I was thinking of buying a 12" handguard from Larue. My question is, is there a gas block that can go on a bull barrel that will fit under the handguard (getting a mid-length)? if so can someone point me towards the right direction...

any help is appreciated!

thanks!
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Novoske sells one in 0.936 it is made by Vltor.  Noveske

The barrel diameter will likely have to be 1.0 inch to fit the Larue barrel nut(never received an email back from them on the barrel nut i/s dia).  I Know the DD quad Lite barrel nut is 1.012 i/s dia. The Superior Weapons system barrel nut is 1.005 i/s dia.

HTH,BRC
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if the low profile 0.936 would fit under the rail. Maybe. It won't fit through the rear of the LaRue tube for sure. Also the barrel needs to be 1" under the handguards for the LaRue barrel nut to fit.

I started out with a RRA 20" varmint barrel and had it threaded, turned to 1" under the hand guards, 0.875 gas block journal and 0.860 the rest of the way to match the OD of the Smith Vortex G-6. Right now I'm using a PRi low pro gas block. I used a 13.2 LaRue rail but the block doesn't fit through the rear of the tube so I had to put it on after the rail. I had already dimpled the barrel for the set screws so that helped a lot. had to install the rail first then slide the block on, move the rail ahead and use a hole in the bottom of the LaRue tube to tighten the set screws.

Barrel

Finished rifle

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Finished rifle
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Precision/Img_1593.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Precision/Img_1594.jpg

you did exactly what i'm trying to do! very nice!

I had a local machine shop turn the barrel for me. I got the PRi block from Dynamic Armament. Noveske and LaRue also list a 0.875" block but neither was in stock when I did my build.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I looked at doing the exact same thing you are.

I was/am going to use a RRA barrel (Douglas I think). The barrel is 1.050 under the handguard.
What I was told is that you'll need to have the Larue barrel nut opened up very slightly. I think the nut is also 1"

I did also purchase a Larue low-profile gas block, and will also have that opened up to fit. I got the idea from Randall at ar15barrels.com. He also sells one that is opened up already and will fit under the Larue Handguards.
Most of the Way Down the Page

I think I'm going to have most of my work done with Adco. they will open up the gas block, the barrel nut, and also I can purchase the barrel from them.

I have a 13.2" Larue Handguard, and the Low Profile gas block doesn't fit completely under the handguard, but most of the way. I have the standard A2 barrel on now, but am looking to buy a bull with the Stimulus money.
You can kind of see it here. About 1/2 the gas block is showing.

Hope this helps!
Curt

ETA: Although I REALLY like what comp1911 did.
I may have to look at that more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 7:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I looked at doing the exact same thing you are.

I was/am going to use a RRA barrel (Douglas I think). The barrel is 1.050 under the handguard.
What I was told is that you'll need to have the Larue barrel nut opened up very slightly. I think the nut is also 1"

Good point, you could open up the barrel nut but you should measure the opening in the rear of the LaRue tube too. I don't think that it's much over 1.050" if at all.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
here is what I have:

with a RRA 1.050 bull barrel:

- open up barrel nut to 1.050" ( ar15barrels)
- open up larue AR10 gas block to 0.937" (ar15barrels)
- install TROY 12.0 over barrel nut

my next project I'll just get a low profile CMMG gas block for bull barrel (.937")

I wish I could fit a larue hg without turning down my barrel though.

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1077648&cat=5&
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:47:44 AM EDT
[#8]
oh yeah if anyone is interested in installing a LT hg over a 1.050" barrel..I'm in for a group buy of oversize larue barrel nut..just need to prove the concept first..
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
oh yeah if anyone is interested in installing a LT hg over a 1.050" barrel..I'm in for a group buy of oversize larue barrel nut..just need to prove the concept first..

I don't know if the LaRue tube will even fit over a 1.050" barrel. I can't remember the dimension but I think it was really close the the barrel nut ID.

PRi and Noveske also have 0.936 low profile gas blocks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an email from Blake at Larue that says the inside diameter of the Larue free float tubes is 1.2 inches.

So you should be fine using an RRA barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have an email from Blake at Larue that says the inside diameter of the Larue free float tubes is 1.2 inches.

man I wish someone would have that config so we can be sure it's working when u open up the LT barrel nut
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sorry but that info is misleading.

It's 1.20" (mine measured something like 1.225") under the rail section but the hole through the rear of the tube is 1.020". I just pulled a tube off and checked it. The barrel nut ID is close to that also but I don't have a spare nut here to check.

The RRA stock barrel is like 1.050".

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top