Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/23/2008 12:22:33 PM EDT
Based on YOUR information and belief, provide a list of the best AR build components and WHY YOU SELECTED THEM.  Your post should be in essence what you believe is the best build for the purpose.

Post your choice of each build component and a CONCISE (two sentence max) reason for the same.  

I have broken down components into two sections (Core and Sighting), please try to stick to it (even if you differ in opinion).  Moreover, the chosen/listed components should be controlled by an overall weapon purpose.  PLEASE ONLY POST ONE COMPLETE BUILD PER PURPOSE (if you are to post more than one).  If you are torn on a component, make a decision LT and explain it vis-a-vis the competing component.  Please do not challenge other posters' decisions; just let the posts of others stand by themselves.

PRIMARY WEAPON PURPOSE: Specify one or combo of the following
CQB-PointBlank(Type1),
Intermediate 50/75-400m(Type2),
SPR-Long Precision 100-600m (Type3)  
(see the Zak-Smith's optics article for reference http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=346233)

CORE GROUP
Barrel:
Gas Block/Piston System:
Bolt Carrier/Bolt:
Upper Receiver (monolithic included):
Forearm/Rail System:
Charging Handle:
Lower Receiver:
Trigger Group:
Magazine:
Pistol Grip:
Buttstock:
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any):
Sling and attachment (if any):
Rail Covers (if any):
Vertical Grip (if any):

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier):
Optic mount:
Front Sight/Front BUIS:
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS:
White Light (if any):
White Light mount (if any):
Laser (if any):

Why this thread:
A copious amount of data exists in thousands of posts on this site describing the benefits of one component vs the standard or competing upgrade.  This information, however, is disjointed and difficult to extract.  In addition, much of this data is dated and does not consider the many currently available products.  This thread is intended to create a concise survey of what is being selected to go into a build weapon and, most importantly, WHY you made the determination.  Your responses will be subjective, albeit likely based on empirical (if not objective) data.  Since value/price is a factor for most, this should not necessarily be an ideal build list, but why you selected such component in light of its capabilities and cost/value compared to a higher cost alternative (if any).  

This thread could add great value to those making build decisions if your responses are indeed representative of a reasoned decision on each of the components you list.  

The more current your list of components the better, but if the item(s) are dated merely explain why you believe they remain the best for the weapon's primary purpose.  Ideally, all of us will learn something of comparative value about the components available.  

If this is done well, it should prove very valuable to all of us.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/23/2008 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
CQB-PointBlank(Type1)

CORE GROUP
Barrel: Noveske 16" Mid 1/7 Chrome Lined Stainless Steel (yes that's right) - Start with accurate, then add easy to clean and hard. Give up some but seemed to me the best compromise. And it's contoured for a mid weight which is right on.
Gas Block/Piston System: Gas. Larue Low Profile Gas Block
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: Young Mfg NM carrier/bolt - Cleans like a dream
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): VLTOR MUR - Excellent specs and strength.
Forearm/Rail System: JP Enterprises VTAC Mid length. Shoulda gone rifle length but I dig it for weight and flexibility as well as comfort to grab. Mount about anything anywhere you want.
Charging Handle: PRI Gas Buster - Overkill I know.
Lower Receiver: Spikes Lower - The best because they engraved my Batman logo I sent them. Good specs and excellent color.
Trigger Group: RRA NM Two stage trigger - Love it.
Magazine: USGI mags, Magpul ranger plates - Don't feel like I have to baby them like I do with the Pmags
Pistol Grip: Hogue pistol grip - Feels like it's rock solid in the hand.
Buttstock: Magpul CTR. Can't wait to try the UBR but I love the lightweight CTR.
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): Smith Ent. Vortex. (We don't need no stinking timing.
Sling and attachment (if any): Single point sling with the Knight's armament single point attachment thingie
Rail Covers (if any): N/A
Vertical Grip (if any): Don't like my CQB aluminum one. Looking for a smaller lighter one now.

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): Aimpoint Comp C - Soon to be accompanied by the magnifier
Optic mount: Larue cantilever mount - Soon to be joined by the Larue swivel magnifier mount
Front Sight/Front BUIS: Troy Front folding battle sight
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Troy rear folding battle sight
White Light: None yet
White Light mount: None yet
Laser (if any): None yet

Link Posted: 3/23/2008 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had only one AR it would be something that I could shoot target or varmint with, yet still be light enough to carry in the woods as a hunting rifle.

CORE GROUP
Barrel: 20" Chrome moly bbl with 5.56 chamber-standard weight
Gas Block/Piston System:YHM gas block/flip front sight
Bolt Carrier/Bolt:Bushmaster or any quality unit that is easy to service.
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): Mil-spec flat top with FA and EJC. lighter to carry and does the job.
Forearm/Rail System: knurled or fluted aluminum FF tube.  Enhances accuracy and it's light.
Charging Handle: Standard, but an extended latch might be nice with a scope.
Lower Receiver:Quality Forged receiver.  I'm not stuck on whose logo is on it as long as it's within spec.
Trigger Group:RRA NM 2 stage
Magazine:GI 30 rounder, perhaps some 20's for the bench.
Pistol Grip:I've only used A2's, but the Magpul and Hogues look awesome
Buttstock:6 position M4.  Cold weather in MN neccessitates bundling up sometimes to o hunting, so adjustable length is a real plus.
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any):RRA tacticals work well, but are ugly... A2's are fine too.  Simple and nothing to snag them on.
Sling and attachment (if any):I wanna try a single point next time.  I loved the slings we had in the USMC in the 80's.  Never found them in the civilian market though, except for M14's and they are not black.
Rail Covers (if any):N/A
Vertical Grip (if any):I like a vertical grip, but can live without one on a hunting/target gun that might see some sandbag time...  I have used them though, and they seem to pretty much all do the job...

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): 3-9X hunting scope on a piccatinny riser.  Should be removable without tools.
Optic mount:See above
Front Sight/Front BUIS: YHM gas block/flip front sight (I like the appearance and it works weel)
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: YHM flip BUIS
White Light:not cool on a hunting gun in MN
White Light mount:N/A
Laser (if any):none
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This is my build, I don't think it's the best build ever or anything. I decided to spare no expense on the upper (Noveske N4) and go cheap(er) on some of the other components. It worked pretty good and I can always upgrade the external stuff later.

CQB-PointBlank(Type1)

CORE GROUP
Barrel: Noveske N4 best chrome lined barrel on the market IMO
Gas Block/Piston System: fixed FSB I like the simplicity and durability of a fixed FSB. I don't have any need for a folding front sight or a different gas block
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: Noveske supplied (CMT M16 w/ correct staking, MP tested/proofed) good enough for me
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): standard flat top no explanation needed
Forearm/Rail System: Samson MRFS-DI decent drop-in rail. My first choice for carbine length rails is the KAC RAS but it doesn't fit on the N4 barrel, so I went with the Samson because it fits KAC panels, which the Troy drop-in doesn't.
Charging Handle: Noveske supplied I didn't give this any thought at all
Lower Receiver: Bushmaster it was what my local shop had in stock at the time
Trigger Group: Bushmaster see above
Magazine: whatever I have laying around the house I have Center, Okay, Colt, D&H, and HK mags. They all work and I don't prefer any of them to the others
Pistol Grip: Tango Down the TD is nothing special feel wise but the little extension piece that covers the trigger guard gap makes it my favorite grip
Buttstock: Vltor carbine stock cheaper than the SOPMOD and works fine
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): Surefire CA556AR203 it mounts my suppressor and makes the barrel over 16"
Sling and attachment (if any): Vickers I haven't had a chance to iron this one out yet in training but I think I will like it
Rail Covers (if any): KAC KAC are the only rail covers I use
Vertical Grip (if any): KAC it's good enough for what I use it for

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier):Meopta 1-4x I got this last year in the group buy for really cheap. I like it but I wouldn't pay full price for the thing. The lack of hold over lines/markings in the reticle is a big down side IMO
Optic mount: Larue SPR 1.5 easy choice here
Front Sight/Front BUIS: fixed FSB see above
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Troy came with the Noveske upper, if I was buying it separately I probably would have used a KAC 300m, I like how simple it is
White Light (if any): Surefire E2L poor man's scout light
White Light mount (if any): Vltor scout mount solid, well-made, and VERY reasonably priced. I really like this mount
Laser (if any): I don't have any use for a visible laser. I don't have NV so I don't need an IR laser
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
How about you Serbspaniard, whats your opinion on the best components?

This thread rocks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I find it interesting how a stainless steel barrel (non-magnetic) can be chromed. It it an electrolytic process and thus cannot be done.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
CQB-PointBlank(Type1) + Intermediate 50/75-400m(Type2) (from 0-300)

CORE GROUP
Barrel: COLT 14.5" M4A1 SOCOM
Gas Block/Piston System: Standard F height FSB, most rugged, no need for flip ups.
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: COLT FA w/ MPC bolt, or LMT. high quality, HPT, MPI, proper extractor spring, etc
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): Stock (w/ M4 cuts)
Forearm/Rail System: Larue Tactical 7.0, free float, easy install, average cost, rugged.
Charging Handle: Stock
Lower Receiver: Colt/LMT (who cares unless it's SELECT FIRE)
Trigger Group: Geissele. the new preset one would be awesome.
Magazine: D&H Teflon w/ Magpul followers
Pistol Grip: Magpul MIAD
Buttstock: Magpul CTR or Vltor EMOD
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): A2
Sling and attachment (if any): LT/Viking 2pt sling
Rail Covers (if any): KAC
Vertical Grip (if any): LT FUG

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): Aimpoint Comp M3
Optic mount: Larue Tactical Cantilever
Front Sight/Front BUIS: N/A
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: LT BUIS
White Light (if any): Surefire M97 w/ clicker tailcap
White Light mount (if any): LT 17 upgrade
Laser (if any): n/a
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The goal was to create a reliable SHTF AR with as many local components as possible at a reasonable price. MEGA lowers have perhaps the highest quality of a forged receiver set, and excellent finish. Much advice was provided by the fellas on Supraforums (including FYRARMS).

PRIMARY WEAPON PURPOSE:
CQB-PointBlank(Type1) + Intermediate 50/75-400m(Type2) (from 0-300)

CORE GROUP
Barrel: CMMG Lightweight 14.5" carbine, chrome-lined
Gas Block/Piston System: standard carbine-length gas block with 'F'-marked front sight
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: LMT BCG (semi)
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): MEGA
Forearm/Rail System: LaRue 7"
Charging Handle: CMT
Lower Receiver: MEGA
Trigger Group: RRA single-stage (part of lower parts kit
Magazine: Magpul PMAG (windowed)
Pistol Grip: Magpul MIAD (full)
Buttstock: Magpul CTR (military)
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): Phantom 5C1, pinned.
Sling and attachment (if any): Viking Tactical 2pt on QD in stock/handguard
Rail Covers (if any): Magpul (ladder style)
Vertical Grip (if any): n/a

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): TBD
Optic mount: TBD
Front Sight/Front BUIS: standard fixed 'F'-marked
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Midwest Industries SPLP flip-up
White Light (if any): n/a
White Light mount (if any): n/a
Laser (if any): n/a
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I find it interesting how a stainless steel barrel (non-magnetic) can be chromed. It it an electrolytic process and thus cannot be done.

Gotcha. You must be right. The magnets sticking to the barrel must be held there by some other force. The markings on the rifle "Noveske 5.56NMml 7P SSCL" must be wrong too.

Thanks for knowing how it all works. Glad we got this time to chat.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha. You must be right. The magnets sticking to the barrel must be held there by some other force. The markings on the rifle "Noveske 5.56NMml 7P SSCL" must be wrong too.

While I know they exist, they are an idea of the highest absurdity.  Chrome-lining ANY barrel negates all the steel's qualities as they pertain to bullet contact.  Since the bullet is contacting only the chrome lining, whatever lies beneath it is generally irrelevant.

Stainless steel's inherent qualities as a barrel are inextricably linked to actually making direct  contact with the bullet.  Assuming the barrel is of high quality to begin with, chrome-lining that SS barrel reduces the barrels accuracy potential and creates a virtual chrome-moly steel barrel without chrome-moly steel's superior heat resistance.

Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I know they exist, they are an idea of the highest absurdity.  Chrome-lining ANY barrel negates all the steel's qualities as they pertain to bullet contact.  Since the bullet is contacting only the chrome lining, whatever lies beneath it is generally irrelevant.

Stainless steel's inherent qualities as a barrel are inextricably linked to actually making direct  contact with the bullet.  Assuming the barrel is of high quality to begin with, chrome-lining that SS barrel reduces the barrels accuracy potential and creates a virtual chrome-moly steel barrel without chrome-moly steel's superior heat resistance.

Makes no sense.

Barrel: Noveske 16" Mid 1/7 Chrome Lined Stainless Steel (yes that's right) - Start with accurate, then add easy to clean and hard. Give up some but seemed to me the best compromise. And it's contoured for a mid weight which is right on.

I guess maybe that's the sense. Longer barrel life, ease of cleaning. The thing that makes SS more accurate is it's ease of machining so add to the the chrome lining with the negative you inherit from the process and if you can show me where I'm worse off then I'll buy you a case of beer. Prove, not whine or prattle.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please do not challenge other posters' decisions; just let the posts of others stand by themselves.

The reason for the chrome lining was clear enough in the original post.

Let the thread move on without posting challenges.  If you want to take issue with a selection, please do it via IM or e-mail and not in the thread.  The decision maker can then edit his decision if you convince them of the need/inaccuracy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I guess maybe that's the sense. Longer barrel life, ease of cleaning. The thing that makes SS more accurate is it's ease of machining so add to the the chrome lining with the negative you inherit from the process and if you can show me where I'm worse off then I'll buy you a case of beer. Prove, not whine or prattle.

Serbspaniard:  Sorry, didn't intend to interrupt the thread, but at the same time threads run their natural course and you cannot really control that.

Whyno45:  Took awhile to figure out who you are and what the hell you were talking about in your crazy e-mail, but I thought this should remain in plain sight.  First of all, don't ever e-mail me again.  Secondly, I don't think you are old enough to understand the fundamental paradox of chrome-lining a stainless steel barrel let alone to buy me beer for proving it.  Your childish insecurity caused you to interpret my original post as some form of attack, which it wasn't and most reasonable people can see that. There's no whining here, I just don't like receiving threatening e-mails.  

Back to our regularly scheduled programming....
Link Posted: 3/27/2008 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]

CQB-PointBlank(Type1),

CORE GROUP
Barrel: LMT 10.5 or Noveske 10.5
Gas Block/Piston System: Gas, pinned low pro gas block (Vltor, LaRue)
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: BCM M16
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): LMT or CMT M4
Forearm/Rail System: LaRue 9.0
Charging Handle: Standard with PRI big Latch
Lower Receiver: GTS or Noveske
Trigger Group: CMT or RRA
Magazine: Verified good mil-spec aluminum with mag pul followers
Pistol Grip: MagPul MIAD
Buttstock: Vltor modstock
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): Smith vortex
Sling and attachment (if any): NA
Rail Covers (if any): TD
Vertical Grip (if any): LaRue FUG

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): EOTech
Optic mount: LaRue
Front Sight/Front BUIS:Troy
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Troy
White Light (if any): Surefire scout
White Light mount (if any): laRue
Laser (if any): None

CORE GROUP
Barrel: Colt SOCOM M4 or Global Tactical 16" Operator mid gas
Gas Block/Piston System: Gas, Fixed FSB or pinned low pro gas block (Vltor, LaRue) on free float version
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: BCM M16
Upper Receiver (monolithic included): LMT or CMT M4
Forearm/Rail System: LaRue 7.0 on M4, 9.0 on Operator, 12.0 on FF Operator
Charging Handle: Standard with PRI big Latch
Lower Receiver: GTS or Noveske
Trigger Group: CMT or RRA
Magazine: Verified good mil-spec aluminum with mag pul followers
Pistol Grip: MagPul MIAD
Buttstock: Vltor modstock
Flash hider/suppressor/brake (if any): YHM 5C2 Phantom, Smith vortex
Sling and attachment (if any): NA
Rail Covers (if any): TD
Vertical Grip (if any): LaRue FUG

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic (should be one, unless 1x dot/reflex with magnifier): Aimpint on M4, EOTech on fixed FSB Operator, 1-4 optic on FF Operator.
Optic mount: LaRue
Front Sight/Front BUIS:Troy
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Fixed FSB LaRue BUIS, FF gets a Troy
White Light (if any): Surefire scout or M95
White Light mount (if any): LaRue
Laser (if any): None

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:31:19 PM EDT
[#14]
(Type 1) CQB *Just for clarification, my idea of a "CQB" carbine is one I can fight with inside of a structure at contact distances, and out to 50yards. If I were to build up a strictly contact distance carbine, the only difference from below would be the barrel length which would be 12.5".

CORE GROUP
Barrel: Noveske N4 C/L 14.5" *WHY: The most heavy duty barrel available.
Gas Block/Piston System: Noveske pinned *WHY: The most heavy duty gasblock set-up available.
Bolt Carrier/Bolt: Bravo Company Ion Bonded FA *WHY: All of the best/most desired features for a BCG for a fighting gun.
Upper Receiver: M4 LaRue Stealth *WHY: Build Quality second to none.
Forearm/Rail System: LaRue 10.0 *WHY: Overall build quality/integral QD sling attachment points.
Charging Handle: PRI GasBuster *WHY: Keeps the crap out of your face/Rock solid.
Lower Receiver: MagPul Billet *WHY: Pure bad-ass, Will match up nicely to the LaRue Billet upper.
Trigger Group: (tenative choice) Geissele SSA *WHY: If these triggers are as heavy duty and nice as they say, then they will be the ultimate duty/fighting trigger.
Magazine: 30rd P-Mag *WHY: Durable/They just plain work!
Pistol Grip: MagPul MIAD *WHY: Feels good/Modular, fits most hands.
Buttstock: MagPul CTR *WHY: Solid/Light/not too long.
Flash hider/suppressor/brake: PWS FSC556 *WHY: Best compromise between a flashider and a Compensator.
Sling and attachment: VTac/LaRue padded 2-point QD *WHY: Personal preference/comfort.
Rail Covers: TangoDown *WHY: Personal preference.
Vertical Grip: LaRue FUG *WHY: Rock-solid, best QD option, will fit any quality rail without play.

SIGHTING GROUP
Optic: Aimpoint Comp M4 *WHY: Durability/Battery life.
Optic mount: LaRue QD *WHY: Most proven QD mount design available
Front Sight/Front BUIS: Troy *WHY: Fits the bill/Fold down out of the way until you need'em.
Rear Sight/Rear BUIS: Troy
White Light : Surefire X300 w/XT tailcap & SR07 tapeswitch/railcover *WHY: Super bright/Solid design/Low profile.
White Light mount: LaRue QD *WHY: Locks up tight to rail.
Laser: LaserMax Uni-Green *WHY: Low profile/Super bright green laser.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top