Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2008 7:39:17 AM EDT
So, I am going to start a build this week.  I already have a Bushmaster M4, so I'm not new to AR's, just new to building them.  Going to pick up a CMMG lower and a parts kit, and I will add more parts as I have money for it.

Anyway, I'm under the impression that you cannot remove/install the FSB with a muzzle brake/flash hider on the barrel, and a 14.5" barrel must have the muzzle device permanently pinned in order to be legal.

Now, being in CT I cannot have a flash hider, I can only have a muzzle brake.  So, I'm thinking about ordering a 14.5" threaded barrel, and buying a muzzle brake, and having a smith pin it.

The problem is, I don't want to have a FSB on the gun, just a gas block with a flip up front site mounted to it, so if I ordered a barrel or upper with a pinned brake, I'm assuming I'll need to get that brake cut off first, which seems like a stupid idea.  

Unless that is I'm wrong and you can get the FSB off and a new gas block on without removing the brake.

What do you guys recommend I do?
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
You could order the barrel and brake you want already pinned/welded, then Cut the FSB off and replace with a clamp on flipup/gas block like YHM for example, a lot easier and way less likely to damage bbl.
You can order the whole deal done your way from some in the industry form also.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I didnt realize I cut cut it off and then use a clamp on one, thats a really good idea, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy my lower tomorrow and will ask the store/gunsmith about getting me what I want and what the price would be.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top