Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2008 10:45:37 PM EDT
I really don't like the ambi-safeties, so I was considering drilling a new safety detent hole opposite side of the original.

The other option would be to mill a similar groove in the safety selector on the opposite side.

Has anybody done this?

After looking at a lower, it seems it would be quite simple to drill a hole (safety detent)
on the opposite side of the current one. You could then install the standard safety selector on the RIGHT side (no pun intended) then install the detent and spring. You would have to drill a small hole in the grip as well to house the spring.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a selector in front of me, but won't the cuts be backwards if you install it fron the right?

Might not work at all.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What don't you like about the ambi ones? Does the lever on the left side bother you? You could shorten it with the right side remaining full length. For that matter you could almost completely remove the left side leaving a small shoulder for locating it then the right side would bolt on and work just fine.

For myself, being a lefty in a right handed world, I use a ambi selector and the Norgon ambi catch. Which leaves the rifle completely usable by my wife and son if needed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
There was a guy on another message board I'm a member of, he did that to his.

I have no idea what his name is on here.

Here is the picture he took of his....

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/983/11656/217989.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/983/11656/217988.jpg
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There was a guy on another message board I'm a member of, he did that to his.

I have no idea what his name is on here.

Here is the picture he took of his....

www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/983/11656/217989.jpg

www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/983/11656/217988.jpg

Hey, that's mine!! :D

It was fairly simple to do. It took me maybe 10 or 15 minutes total to do. I used my drill and Dremel tool. I'm thinking about making a jig so I can do them easier. I have the finished product, and it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
just buy the reverable safety from the Olympic Arms catalog.  I don't think it's on the website so you have to download the catalog.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
Hey, that's mine!! :D

It was fairly simple to do. It took me maybe 10 or 15 minutes total to do. I used my drill and Dremel tool. I'm thinking about making a jig so I can do them easier. I have the finished product, and it works perfectly.

Now that name I do recognize from the old FP days.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
just buy the reverable safety from the Olympic Arms catalog.  I don't think it's on the website so you have to download the catalog.

I'm of the frame of mind that, if I can make it then why pay for it.

Either way I was getting another one. I'd I messed up my current, the oh well time for that upgrade.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top