Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2008 4:46:04 AM EDT
First build and on J&T and Del-Ton sites they both have a rifle Basic kit. What options do most people choose? Also are the carrier keys staked right? Thanks for anymore tips.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Flat top rifles and carbines are the most sought after id say.Not sure about those 2 companies but you can keep a build to what it would cost off the rack with way better made parts than a Bushmaster and others come with as standard.Legal transfers has a STAG carbine kit for $633 with a good $100 forged lower thats pretty rock bottom for good stuff.He may even offer a rifle kit as well.I use CMMG,Bravo company,LMT and CMT for my parts sources.The only thing the same on my factory Bushmasters is the pre-ban lower...lot of evolution over 16 years
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 6:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard many good things from both of those companies.
It depends on how much money you want to spend. some people go with a plain jane config, some go for a 2-stage trigger, others go whole hog and get everything upgraded. I'm planning on ordering an upper from CMMG soon, they have a very good (bad for my wallet) selection of options when buying, FWIW. I imagine the carrier would be staked properly coming from either of them, but it's a simple fix if not.

Hope that helps,
Acer
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I would pay for the chromed bore and if you will be using optics with with the flat top upper.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
 I second the flat top upper & chrome lined chamber & bore, 2 of my favorite options.  You can always add a bug-out handle later if you want.  -  The chrome makes it a snap to clean.  JMO, ALLONS11
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I said J&T and Del-Ton because they offered complete "rifles kits" just add a lower. For the first timer, this is a plus. I was just wondering about the quality of the parts and on the upgrades, which would you chose. The chrome bolt and bore were two that I was going to chose. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
double post
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't waste money on a chrome bolt.  I would put that money towards a quality trigger.  I would get it with the stock trigger and when you are familiar with the rifle, switch it out with a quality aftermarket trigger.  After the swap you will appreciate a good trigger.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm about to build my first AR using a Stag (Global Tactical)  lower and a Del-Ton kit (16" M4 flat-top w. M4 feed ramps).

I'm working on a fairly tight budget, so:  If I'm a low volume shooter who isn't going for long range (<100yds usually) accuracy and doesn't mind cleaning things, is it worth the money to add the chrome barrel?

I'm used to corrosive ammo out of rifle older than I am, so a little scrubbing isn't going to bother me.  I'm planning on adding an EOTech when the wallet allows, but not any sort of long glass.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I just received my 16" rifle kit from Del-Ton last week. I only added the green furniture and the chrome lining and it made it to me for $498 w/shipping. I ordered a Doublestar lower from Aim for $108 w/shipping. Then add $25 transfer fee and I have a complete flat top for $631. I already had a detachable rear sight laying around so I used it and tried the thing out yesterday for the first time.

It functions perfect, it looks damn good and I built it myself (first timer here). You can't go wrong with Del-Ton. You can get the basic kit and upgrade later when funds permit and you see what mods/upgrades are wanted/needed. I had so much fun putting my own together that I am getting ready to buy another lower and do it again.

I already had a Bushmaster that I bought new so I knew the basic function before the build. wheb I opened the lower parts kit and saw all the parts i kinda got scared. But due to the fine folks here and all the "sticky" links provided, I was able to open all the bags of parts and assemble my rifle in less than hour.

Now is the time to buy before it is too late. Changes in the Gov. are on the horizon. Have NO fear, if you build your own, there is plenty of help afoot here on this fine board.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
J&T and del-ton have very good reps. around here
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Plus 1? on the trigger upgrade- -I just put together 2 lower kits from Delton, one with the standard lower parts kit, the other with an RRA 2 stage trigger upgrade.  The 2 stage is wonderful- -easy takeup, solid-bang!   The standard trigger creeps...creeps...then decides to go bang, usually when I've decided to breathe and am off target.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top