Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 9:18:41 PM EDT
I see that Stag and DPMS lowers are under $100, but Bushmaster is $200 per lower.

Is there any reason to spend the extra $100 for the Bushmaster, or is that Bushmaster fan boyness?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
These days they're all pretty good.

Pick one you like the looks of and go with it.

I used RRA lowers for all of mine.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
IMO, Stag is a better lower than Bushmaster.
Avoid Hesse, Vulcan, and Oly lowers.
Everything else is pretty much in spec and is a matter of convenience and price.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong with many of the lowers on the market today.  I've built rifles from both DPMS and Stag and haven't had any problems with either.  No experience with Bushmaster but why pay the extra....for the price, just get two of the DPMS or Stag lowers!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Lauer Custom Weaponry $135 and its built by LMT.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got an older BM lower and see nothing worth the extra cost.  The last 4 lowers I've bought have been from Superior Arms.  Kiser Munnitions is selling them for $85.00 each or $80.00 for 10.  Contact Joseph at Kiser he'll arrange shipment to your local FFL.  Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can't go wrong with many of the lowers on the market today.  I've built rifles from both DPMS and Stag and haven't had any problems with either.  No experience with Bushmaster but why pay the extra....for the price, just get two of the DPMS or Stag lowers!

+1

Hilary is coming.

Why pay $200 per lower when you can buy 2 good lowers for that price & stock up for 2009?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I see that Stag and DPMS lowers are under $100, but Bushmaster is $200 per lower.

Is there any reason to spend the extra $100 for the Bushmaster, or is that Bushmaster fan boyness?

Thanks.

Honestly there is no difference.  You're paying for a name and the fanboys eat it up like a fat kid eats cake.  Dimensionally all the big names are the same

DPMS, LMT/Lauer, Stag, RRA, Double Star, Bushmaster, even Essential arms, Superior Arms, and many more I'm sure I'm leaving out

DO stay away from Hesse, Vulcan, American Spirit Arms, and Olympic.  If you're buying new then you don't have to worry about getting a cast lower, all the new lowers are forged or billet
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

Hilary is coming.

Why pay $200 per lower when you can buy 2 good lowers for that price & stock up for 2009?

The liberals made the mistake of leaving a loophole once, they're not likely to repeat it.  You're better off having the lowers built up as rifles by the end of 09.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have never seen BM's for $200.  I have seen complete BM lowers including buttstock for $205.  What you saw is gunstore robbery.

BTW, RGuns has the BM deal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
We did a bulk buy of the superior arms 10 for $800 lowers.

Roll stamping was less than great, but the lowers themselves were fine. For $80 ea, I don't care how it looks :) Interestingly, the SN was perfectly readable. The first one I have built up lines up fine and fits tight.

J
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I have built on Stag, Double Star, Superior and Oly and not had any major problems yet.  Don't pay too much and see if Steve Winstead on gunbroker has any in stock.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I've built one on a DPMS and two on Stags.  No problems with any of them.  Don't pay for a name.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used Superior Arms, Essential Arms, and Fulton Armory.
They all worked fine, the Fulton is the nicest over all. The Superior
has a tighter mag well, you have to jam home Pmags-USGI work
good though. The Essential Arms lower is a little rough, but if and
when I build another lower, this is the one I'd like to use. For the
money the Essential lower with the tuff coat, is a good deal.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Doesn't matter one bit, so long as it's forged aluminum....

Essential Arms makes some really good, really low-cost lowers...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
From a function standpoint it probably doesn't matter much, but the two Essential Arms lowers I owned had the worst finish of any lowers I've ever seen. I'd gladly pay the extra $10-15 for something that looks decent.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Not anymore last i heard.

Lauer does NOT use LMT lowers anymore.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hilary is coming.

The liberals made the mistake of leaving a loophole once, they're not likely to repeat it.  You're better off having the lowers built up as rifles by the end of 09.  

Good point.

As for "grandfathering" and "coming door-to-door" think about the past:  with the stroke of a pen, they made the USAS-12 and street sweeper into Class III / NFA firearms.  No need to go door to door to collect the guns, they had amnesty registration.  Did they get every single one registered?

I doubt it.

But, I doubt you'd see one causually out at the range unless it was registered.  Goal 99% accomplished.

They will try to ban things. If the ban passes, people will comply with it.  They may not simply "grandfather" next time the way they did in 1994.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have never seen BM's for $200.  I have seen complete BM lowers including buttstock for $205.  What you saw is gunstore robbery.

Where does RGuns have BM lower assemblies for $205? THey have DPMS's which I'm thinking of buying and their own brand for that price but I haven't seen BM"s on their website.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Doesn't seem to matter much these days as so many companies are producing excellent lowers. Just bought a MEGA lower and I've got to say I'm impressed. One of the nicest fits and finishes I ever seen on  an AR15 lower. Good stuff that MEGA.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Thanks.

No.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I was looking at AIM. Why does the Stag only say .223 but the Superior Arms say .223/5.56?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#23]
height=8
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hilary is coming.

The liberals made the mistake of leaving a loophole once, they're not likely to repeat it. You're better off having the lowers built up as rifles by the end of 09.  

Good point.

As for "grandfathering" and "coming door-to-door" think about the past: with the stroke of a pen, they made the USAS-12 and street sweeper into Class III / NFA firearms. No need to go door to door to collect the guns, they had amnesty registration. Did they get every single one registered?

I doubt it.

But, I doubt you'd see one causually out at the range unless it was registered. Goal 99% accomplished.

They will try to ban things. If the ban passes, people will comply with it. They may not simply "grandfather" next time the way they did in 1994.

+1 I believe when the next ban passes it will look something like California's AWB and I do think Gulliani is just as likely as Hillary or Obama to push for an AWB.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, they do!  Rainier Arms sells them and I bought one.  I don't know if all dealers selling Lauer lowers can get the LMT ones, but Rainier Arms can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:41:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hilary is coming.

You heard it here folks - Why have one of them with a snake logo, when you can get two with the same function for the same $.

Superior is really my number one choice when building a keeper. (I kind of like the trigger adjustment too)
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've got an older BM lower and see nothing worth the extra cost.  The last 4 lowers I've bought have been from Superior Arms.  Kiser Munnitions is selling them for $85.00 each or $80.00 for 10.  Contact Joseph at Kiser he'll arrange shipment to your local FFL.  Semper Fi.

OK - Spend $800 on Bushys... You get 4 of them.... Spend $800 on superior.. You get 10 of them!...

No brainer really.

The Bushys and RRA's (and some others too) are sometimes used by shops, building AR's (some are quality pieces too), and then sold to the general public and most people think they're buying a factory rifle.  -  Is there really any difference as long as the rifle is quality... Probably not.. But deciet, is deciet
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where does RGuns have BM lower assemblies for $205? THey have DPMS's which I'm thinking of buying and their own brand for that price but I haven't seen BM"s on their website.

Damn!  You are right.  I was quoting from memory, which shows how piss-poor mine is.

Thanks for the correction.  And I just picked up a Essential Arms lower with the standard finish, and it is fine.

Bret
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a post a little bit back HERE. It helped me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top