Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:45:08 AM EDT
I've been lurking and posting on this forum for awhile. I have a few questions to ask so I don't purchase the wrong stuff and get pissed off and frusrtated , well you know what I mean. I want to build an AR with an upper like this that Pete at legal transfers sells. I have already picked up a lower with the all the parts needed to build the lower. It is the upper that I'm confused about. I will need a upper reciever (m4 style), 16 " chromed barrel, handguards (I maybe getting a set soon), bolt and carrier. What else? When I buy the bolt and carrier does it come with all the internals, is the front sight attached or will I need tools to attach it? I have read the assemble your own AR, all though very informative, some areas of that post are vauge espeasially for us newbes.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
In the assembly threard there are links to the much more detailed .mil techical manuals.

Barrels can be purchased stripped, with FSB attached and barrel nut, or as a complete assembly adding the delta ring, gas tube and handguards.  A vendor item should have this specified, confirm what you are getting if buying on the EE.

Buying a Bolt Carrier Group should include everything, sometimes the carrier or bolt is offered alone, this should be specified.

Don't forget about a charging handle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Most barrels come with the front sight base attached. If you have any doubts ask, either by phone or e-mail. It may be a better idea to purchase an assembled upper this time around.

Some rail systems, I'm not sure about the Samson units in Pete's ad, will clamp on the standard barrel nut and free float the barrel. That's kinda' what that picture looks like. Others will attach the same as the regular handguards and not freefloat the barrel. Somewhere in one of these AR forums is a huge tacked thread concerning railed handguards. Well worth the time to find it and read it.

If you buy a "bolt carrier assembly" it will come ready to use with all parts installed.

Good luck!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top