Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2007 5:52:53 PM EDT
hello all

currently the buttstock is threaded into the lower receiver just enough so that the buffer stop pin is in the notch thats on the buttstock end, i think this is per instructions from the guides.

However, the buttstock wiggles a bit, not too much, but i am not sure, should i thread the buttstock in more? I tried to put it 1 more revolution into the receiver, but then the upper wont fit.

anyone know what i mean?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

However, the buttstock wiggles a bit, not too much, but i am not sure, should i thread the buttstock in more?
thanks

so, which buttstock are we talking about.  are we talking about the A2/A1 full buttstock or the adjustable stocks?

For the adjustable stocks, +1 on just tighting the tube until it holds the buffer pin then tightening the castle nut.....if the stock wiggles, well......thats something that I've noticed about adjustable stocks.  Sometimes you get one that wiggles, something one that doesn't.  I've seen guys put electrical black tape on the tube to stop the wiggle.

For the A1/A2 stocks....i've also that the same problem....for me the tube will only go so far, because there is a lip on the tube and by the time you have threaded the tube enough to hold the buffer pin, the lip is already up against the lower reciever.  I've also had a A2 buttstock that wiggles from side to side, and my homemade fix-it up was to put some tape on the little nub on the buttstock.  Either the little nub that goes under the dimple that is under the buffer tube is out of spec, or the nub is out of spec.  I was too lazy to measue or buy another stock to determine which is at fault.  But with the piece of tape covering the nub, it has stop wiggling and works for me.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
MAKE SURE that there is enough meat on the tube lip to retain the buffer retainer. If not you are going to have a NASTY malfunction. Sometimes you will find that you can't get enough to hold the retainer well, but the next rotation is too much. In that case you will need to file a little off the lip.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top