Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2007 12:15:38 AM EDT
I'm currently looking for a rear sight to put on my RRA mid-length upper. I've been looking at the LMT sight because it has both windage and elevation adjustments, and has a quick attach knob that deosn't need tools. Besides the fact that a folding sight is low profile and is more convenient in conjunction with a scope, is there any advantage to a folding sight that just has a windage adjustment compared to a non-folding rear sight that has both windage and elevation adjustments?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:53:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It depends on what you plan on doing with the rifle. If you are looking for a Rear sight.....then use a windage/elevation sight (although, how much shooting do you do that requires a windage change).

If, on the other hand, you are looking for a BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) then windageelevation really isn't required, since the BUIS was only designed to give SOME sights if your primary optic malfunctions or is damaged.

But, keep in mind that most "Tactical" instructors will say run with your BUIS deployed at all times, so a fixed windageelevation type sight is good for that too. I do not like running my BUIS deployed all the time, so i practice quick deployment of the sight, and no optic shooting.

Fixed it for ya...

I only use flip-ups on scoped rifles. LaRue buis or carryhandle on everything else.
I use an IBZ(50 yard zero) so there's no real need for me to touch the elevation on a rear sight. YMMV.

The only "advantage" I can think of, is being able to fold them out of the way if your using a red dot as your primary sight. Some don't like the clutter of having to look through or over a rear sight. I don't mind it. Again, YMMV
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top