Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2007 11:24:24 PM EDT
I put together a CMMG stripped lower and LPK recently.  The safety selector is every so slightly crooked.  On my storebought S&W and every M16 I was ever issued, the selector faces either straight forward, perfectly perpendicular to the barrel, and sometimes straight back.  I never had an issue with them being kinda crooked.  It is functionally perfect, but I think it should fit better.  I bought a second selector and had the same issue.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
detent hole not drilled perfectly perpendicular?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Do you mean in the LR itself?  I'm on the second selector.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you mean in the LR itself?  I'm on the second selector.

Yes.  That would be the only thing I could think of that would make the selector crooked.  Especially since you said you tried 2 different ones and they were both crooked.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm hoping it is something easier than getting a new LR, especially since my SBR paperwork is set to go on it.  Think I'll try a different brand selector first.  Maybe I got a couple of "Friday selectors."  

Is it possible to fix a crooked detent tube?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm hoping it is something easier than getting a new LR, especially since my SBR paperwork is set to go on it.  Think I'll try a different brand selector first.  Maybe I got a couple of "Friday selectors."  

Is it possible to fix a crooked detent tube?

I'd say it would be possible to fix.  I'm not sure that that would be the problem though.  If it is functional, I really wouldn't worry about it.  Having said that, if it were to be a crooked detent tube, it would be easier to modify the selector, IMO.  I always like to work with the cheapest and most easily replaceable part.  Also, try using another detent, if you have any spares.  If you can, narrow down the problem by changing out as many suspect parts as you can(detent, spring, selector).
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Make sure the diameter of the detent is exactly the same as the diameter of the hole. If the detent is undersized, it can cock over in the detent hole and give crappy selector action and position.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Could this have something to do with the hole in the grip?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I took it apart a number of times and to my relatively untrained eye, everything looks fine.  The detent and spring seem to be of adequate diameter.  I tried the spring facing both ways just for kicks.  I'll try to get some more parts to swap out.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had this problem with several selectors.  On mine, if inspected closely, I could see that the groove machined into the selector wasn't the proper 90 degrees around the diameter of the selector shaft.  They all worked, but it is annoying to me and makes me wonder about the quality of other parts these vendors include in their lower parts kits.  The last LPK I used was a CMT/Stag and all the parts look and function properly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top