Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:28:17 AM EDT
Hi,
I guess htis has been asked a few time, but I cant find it anywhere. So how do you properly stake a castle nut. Pics would help.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
No science really.  Just take a big ass screwdriver or punch and displace metal from the receiver endplate into two of the notches in the castle nut.

It can be tricky making it look decent, but anyone can easily make a functional stake.

After doing it a few times, I have mine looking pretty professional.  The next time you see a Colt LE carbine, take a look at the castle nut to see what it's supposed to look like.

Randall (AR15barrels.com) usually posts a good pic of what a castle nut stake looks like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the answer.

Best Regards,
Pedro Viana
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I just finished replacing the adj. stock on my RRA 223 and it was not staked but it was very tight.  DPMS says they put a bit of epoxy on the nut then torque to spec.  I have 2 DPMS and 1 RRA and none of them look as if they're staked.  I'm new to the AR and still have a lot to read and learn but what is the reason for staking the nut?  Wouldn't epoxy and torque hold the nut in place?  Seems like overkill to me.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't recommend any epoxy or Loc-tite for securing that castle nut. It is designed to be staked.

You may want to remove it in the future and staking it makes it easy to do. An epoxy and Loc-tite (especially if you use the wrong type) can make it difficult to remove and neither is known for surviving heat and heavy vibration very well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend any epoxy or Loc-tite for securing that castle nut. It is designed to be staked.

Exactly.  It is designed to be staked.

Some example pics are here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]
what does staking the castle nut do exactly? Just stop the castle nut from backing out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually use a diamond chisel.  It usually moves a nice bit of material and makes a nice neat punch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what does staking the castle nut do exactly? Just stop the castle nut from backing out?

Yes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:

It could keep you from getting killed... Last year we had an officers AR fail to fire in a gunfight because the nut came loose allowing the buffer tube to back out. The buffer retainer pin popped out and landed in front of the hammer. The officer tried immediate action but all they got was two hammer clicks. Luckily another officer was close by with a good ole Remington 870 and finished the fight.

Maintenance, Maintenance, Maintenance !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could keep you from getting killed... Last year we had an officers AR fail to fire in a gunfight because the nut came loose allowing the buffer tube to back out. The buffer retainer pin popped out and landed in front of the hammer. The officer tried immediate action but all they got was two hammer clicks. Luckily another officer was close by with a good ole Remington 870 and finished the fight.

that sucks.  wouldn't you start noticing that your stock has that much play?  i mean for the tube to back off the threads enough for the buffer to pop off, the stock much be at least off by 45 degrees right?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that sucks.  wouldn't you start noticing that your stock has that much play?  i mean for the tube to back off the threads enough for the buffer to pop off, the stock much be at least off by 45 degrees right?

He was probably on the move when it happend
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
if you do stake the castle nut your then unable to remove it or your buffer tube correct?

-patry
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#13]
How is steaking more easy to remove that loctite? I would think a very small amount of loctite would be the easyist. And how would you remove a steaked castle nut if you wanted to change out parts or whatever? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's not a maintenance issue. That an assembly issue. If the weapon was assembled correctly in the first place, there would be no need for maintenance of the castle-nut.

It amazes me how many people come up with excuses not to do this step or use loctite instead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#15]
If you bet your life on your weapon, then there is NO EXCUSE for not staking it.

Anything less is sheer lazyness.

I don't care if you get yourself killed because "good enough" was OK. I just hope you don't get someone else killed who was depending on you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
After the aforementioned incident, I pulled all of our officers rifles in (these are all personally owned by the officers). Of the 15 that had collapsible stocks only 2 were staked from the factory. There were examples from all the "big" names and they are all STAKED now.

The officer in question should have caught the issue during normal maintenance and I guarantee no one will miss it again. Murphy is alive and well and he has a sick sense of humor.... check your gear always.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if you do stake the castle nut your then unable to remove it or your buffer tube correct?

Quoted:
...how would you remove a steaked castle nut if you wanted to change out parts or whatever?

Shortly after getting a complete LMT lower, I removed the castle nut, which was staked on.  My sturdy, good-fitting wrench was able to overcome the staking without a problem.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top