Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 6:05:46 AM EDT
I am looking to build a Del-Ton kit.  I can't decide between a 20" or a 16".  What kind of MOA should I expect out of them.  Also, should I spring for the DPMS barrel or are the Del-Ton ones the same quality?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
the shorter fatter barrel will have a tendency to be more accurate.  In normal barrle profiles 16 or 20 wont add up to a hill of beans in difference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the fatter 16" barrel because it is compact and the barrel doesn't heat up as fast as the thin barrel. And I have complete upper Del-Ton.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,I've got the fatter 16" middie and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree that barrel accuracy between 16" and 20" are going to be very close, what differs is the velocity and this matters at extended ranges.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#5]
well, delton's bbls are wilsons; so are DPMSs...so i guess that the same quality of the bbls are the same

as to 20" vs 16", your accuracy will be basically the same (considering if the bbls are of the same quailty); bbl length, in all practicality has no bearing on accuracy potential

h/w, it will affect velocity, into which a longer bbl usually = more vel.

as to expected MOA, you are refering to the DT/DMPS bbls, correct? if so, which ones--std CL, CM, or varminters, SS?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
accuracy will be about the same , 20'' is about 300 fps faster
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I would think the 20'' should be more accurate if they are the same thickness. especially if your shooting with the open sights. Probably everybody telling you there is no difference have 16" barrels. (Ill probably catch some flak for this comment!)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#8]
This might help. I just placed an order with Del-ton for a 20" kit. They replied that they were out of 20" barrels for their kits and it would be several weeks before they got anymore in. The way they said several weeks made me think a couple of months (bummer). I just changed my order to the 16" heavy barrel. We'll let you know how it shoots this weekend.
Tom
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I got the last heavy stainless 20" barrel Del-Ton had. It`s supposed to ship tomorrow, ordered it Monday, not bad service.
It`s primary use will be longer range matches, 200 to a little over 600 yards last match. Will let you know how it does when it`s all done.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
open site ...you... may shoot more accurately with a 20'' because of the longer site radius . if you scope a 16'' and a 20'' and they have similar barrels your groups will be similar . for me it's a toss up both of my rifles shoot well , but after borrowing a chronograph and testing some loads the extra 300 fps is real . if you need the extra punch go 20''
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top