Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 11:18:54 AM EDT
My first AR build and I want it to be nice.

I decided to buy a stripped lower, since building it up doesn't sound daunting at all. The Upper, however, seems like more of a pain. I'd like to get a matching Mega Upper, but Rainier only sells them stripped.

So here's my question: Go the full nine and assemble the whole rifle myself? What tools would I need? I've done detail strips of pistols (Berettas, Rugers, etc.), but never a full Upper for a rifle.

Or should I contact Rainier Arms to see if they can assemble a full Upper for me?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not that hard.  You need a receiver block, and a barrel wrench.  Check out the thumbtacked threads at the top of the build it yourself forum.

Where in VA are you?  I am near the NRA HQ in Northern VA.  I have both a block and a wrench and have built several uppers and lowers.  Perhaps I can help or I might loan you what you need.

BTW, my 16 inch is a matching MEGA upper and Lower.  The fit is SWEET!

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
The upper is a lot easier than the lower.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It's not that hard to assemble an upper.  IIRC though Mega uppers already have the forward assist and port door installed.  Their stripped upper receivers are the same as everyone else's assembled receivers

This is from Rainier's site:

MEGA Stripped A4 Upper w/Charging Handle

MEGA Partially Assembled A4 Upper with Trap Door, Forward Assist

Mega Machine Shop uses 7076 T6 Aluminum forgings completed on a Mazak four axes horizontal CNC. The finish is hard anodized, & Teflon coated and is rated at Rockwell 60 abrasive and 30 point.

I think you'll be ok.  Megas are awesome and Rainier is a great dealer.

You will definitely need a good barrel wrench such as this for when you add the barrel
www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=421

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The upper is a lot easier than the lower.

+1 I swapped a barrel onto a different upper in about 10 mintues the other day.

If you going to build out a flat top upper you don't even really need anything other than the punches you use on a lower and a pair of needle nose. If you build out an A2 upper get a rear sight tool. Its not a daunting task.

If your going to build uppers you must use a set of upper blocks. Like these. Otherwise you run the risk of irreversibly damaging an upper. A set of blocks will last pretty much forever.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top