Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2007 5:04:23 PM EDT
I have a set of carbine length triangular handguards I'm trying to put on my AR.  To do this, I must remove the front sight base.  I checked the build it section and followed the example, but I seem to be beating the crap out of the pins without success.  They seem to be on there to stay.  Perhaps they don't like the new handguards.

Is there any "trick" to this?  Or must I beat the crap out of it some more?

Please advise.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
suport the barrel and use a big hammer, hit the smaller diameter end.  If that dont work, Cut the FSB off. or try the vice trick. This work likes an arbor press.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the AR-15 Front Sight Bench Block from Brownells which worked great. Just had to give it a good smack and the pins fell right out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to beat the shit out of my cmmg.  finally I heated them up some with a propane torch and sprayed penetrating oil on them. They came out after a few more sharp strikes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Never seen or heard of them comming out without a fight, are you using the correct tools? I started out using what I thought would work ...... ended up beating the crap out of the FSB. Went and purchased the correct size punches... two wacks later and they were right out. Nothing against anyones advise but I dont think heating the FSB up is a good idea. To close to the barrel for my liking.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:55:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Heating it slightly to help the penetrating oil draw into the holes where the pins are wont hurt it. Its not like I used oxy/acetylene and heated it till glowing red. Im pretty sure theses barrels can put up with a little heat from a propane torch. Ive seen barrels get hotter just by sending a ton of rounds down range. Also what about those who have heated the ends of thier barrels to cherry red to attach f/h's with solder paste. Anyway back on the subject they are a pain in the ass and everyone has their own set ways of dealing with them. Just make sure the barrel is fully supported when you are beating on the punch to get the pins out, I was freaking out a little when mine didnt come out but after a little persuasion they popped loose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a set of carbine length triangular handguards I'm trying to put on my AR.  To do this, I must remove the front sight base.  I checked the build it section and followed the example, but I seem to be beating the crap out of the pins without success.  They seem to be on there to stay.  Perhaps they don't like the new handguards.

Please advise.

since when do triangular handguards install require the removal of the front sight?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please advise.

since when do triangular handguards install require the removal of the front sight?

He may need to add a triangular end cap. I don't know, but that was my first guess.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The end cap is the reason as guessed.  

Thanks for everyone's input.  I'm going to reevaluate the situation this afternoon and go back to it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
ahh, gotcha. Yep BFH!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top