Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2007 12:00:45 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals. I was trying to get a sling swivel off of my upper. The upper that I have is the stag complete upper M4 profile that AIMs has for $450. I am wanting the side sling attachment to stay on. The one that I want off is the one that comes standard with all the AR 15 (the one directly under the barrel).

I can do my fair share of handy work around the house and never take on a task that I am not sure of (to keep me from messing something up and then having to pay more for someone else to fix the original job plus what I messed up). So in short if I have any doubts in my abilities I ask first and then decide if I want to go any further or just hire someone else to do the work.

I felt pretty confident that I could do this pretty simple job of drifting one little pin out to get this sling attachment off of my gun. I even went out and bought some Lyman steel and brass punches and steel roll pin punches at the fun show last weekend. I bought them mainly to put together my stag lower and RRA lower parts kit together whenever stag gets around to making some.

Anyway to get to the point. These damn pins are NOT MOVING! I went to meyer this morring just to buy a little hammer to use with these punches (I want to do it right by not using or improviseing tools that arnt ment for the job it is a little 7 oz hammer). Well that just wasnt even budging that little Fing pin at all. Got my 32 oz hammer out, I am barelly moving it while hitting it pretty hard. I stopped in fear that I might mess something up. BTW I was braceing the gun barrel as well. WTF am I doing wrong? Are these pins always this big of a bitch to get out? Am I not using the correct tools? Are there any tools I can buy that will help me out (links, parts name, tool name, web site, price?). Any help is appreciated all TIA.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only worked on my Bushies, Colt and USGI.

Support the FSB with a block (hole over the solid side of the rivet head)
hit the dimpled end of the rivet with a punch that'll fit in the dimple.  A couple good whacks should do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've only worked on my Bushies, Colt and USGI.

Support the FSB with a block (hole over the solid side of the rivet head)
hit the dimpled end of the rivet with a punch that'll fit in the dimple.  A couple good whacks should do the trick.

-Man I have given it more than a couple good whacks. It dont budge at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If your not getting anywhere with the BFH & Punches , drill it out...Touch up with cold-blue or magic marker...

Weird that its not coming right out , as Red_5 said ,  A couple good whacks should do the trick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
it's a rivet, not a pin. you need a small punch that fits inside the rolled end - or drill the rolled end off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
it's a rivet, not a pin. you need a small punch that fits inside the rolled end - or drill the rolled end off.

-Nope not being a smart ass when I say this it is not a rivet I know what one looks like and it is not a rivet. On one side it is flat and rounded like the head of a rivet. But the other side is flat and smooth. This looks like it is solid steel. If it was a rivet I would have drove the punch through it for how hard and how many times I hit it by now. I can always take a dremel to it but I wanted to save it if I could just to have it incase I ever changed my mind (like I have several times in the past).
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Nope not being a smart ass when I say this it is not a rivet I know what one looks like and it is not a rivet. On one side it is flat and rounded like the head of a rivet. But the other side is flat and smooth. This looks like it is solid steel. If it was a rivet I would have drove the punch through it for how hard and how many times I hit it by now. I can always take a dremel to it but I wanted to save it if I could just to have it incase I ever changed my mind (like I have several times in the past).

Every one I have ever seen was a rivet:  Does your look different than this?

kevinholman.com/host/rivet1.jpg

kevinholman.com/host/rivet2.jpg

-No yours is a rivet mine looks just like the pins that hold the FSB on but only 2 times in diameter bigger (I shit you not). The stag upper is the same one that AIMs has up on there web site right now. It is the complete stag M4 upper. Anyone read this thread have one? If so go look at yours. I read your tacked post very informative BTW. When you said to drive them L to R I was like oh. But one side has a big head that is stateing WRONG WAY and then the other side clearly is the side to tap it out of. There no mistaking it. But I am telling you guys it is not a rivet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the same upper.
Mine is a rivet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
looks like a solid rivet.

drilling out is the option.

drill a hole dead center of the head (mushroomed end) the same diameter of the hole in the FSB. ** Only go to the depth of the head, being careful not to round out the hole or drill into the FSB. **

stick a drift punch of the same diameter into the hole and use it like a leaver to break off the head.

punch out the rest of the rivet.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have the same upper.
Mine is a rivet.
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/kaaooga3/arfcom/CIMG4278.jpg
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c348/kaaooga3/arfcom/CIMG4279.jpg

Thats bizarre looking....

-Its one tough SOB I tell ya!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top