Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2007 8:55:34 PM EDT
I'm a newbie on the board, as I stated in a previous post. I am so impressed with the collective knowledge and the willingness to share information. So much so, I think I'm going to take a stab at building my own AR. So, the question is . . . or more accurately stated, the survey concerns WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COMPONENTS AND SOURCES TO BUILD YOUR AR's

Example:
Favorite Lower/source
Favorite Upper/source
Favorite for fire control group parts for lower/source
Favorite Stock/source
Favorite Barrel/source
Favorite WHATEVER I DID NOT LIST/source

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
well you would have to decide for yourself on what type of everything you want id suggest going to a gun store that has these rifles for sale and fondeling them all. that way you can decide on what you want this rifle to be used for. IE varmiting, tactical, ETC.

my preference is

20" hbar barrel postban     bushmaster
Flattop upper  any will do
tactical latch charging handle  i have a bushmaster that works GREAT with a scope
Grizly lower
RRA lower parts kit
J&T bolt and carrier
J&T full legnth stock
ergo ambi grip
bushnell 4X12X40mm scope
harris bipod
and reloaded ammo can put 30 rounds inside 4 inches at 300 yards

havent had any problems yet and i always look here first on the EE board to get my parts before i go anywhere to buy them the guys on here are TERRIFIC.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
these are the main brands i have used on 3 of my builds

Lower: Stag/CMT
Upper: Stag/CMT
LPK: Stag/ CMT
Stock: Magpul (pick one, i have an m93b and two CTR,  love them both)
Barrel: Stag/CMT (20" and 16") or CMMG (16")
FF Rail: Daniel Defense or Larue (i am a firm believer in you get what you pay for)
BUIS: DPMS mangonel, ARMS, GG&G
Optic: Eotech

as for sources, just click on the industry link and start going through the dealers till you find the price you like.  Good luck.  also, keep an eye on the EE for deals that come along, its worth it to your pocketbook.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Larue billet upper reciever
Larue 12.0 FF rails
Jewell two stage trigger
Krieger 1-7.7" twist from CLE
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul PRS stock
Larue SPR 1.5 Mount
5.5x22x50 Nightforce NXS scope with NPR1 reticle
RRA lower
RRA bolt carrier assembly
GG&G flip up front sight assembly
vortex flash suppressor
Matech BUIS
KNS pins
20 round mags coated in Black T by Mr. Walter Birdsong to match the rest of the rifle

This was the specs on my "ultimate rifle".  I will use it as my long range 223 rifle.  I prefer it over the 223 bolt gun.  My long range rifles are 300 Wm, 50 BMGs, and 308s.  So the 223 is actually I guess a mid range gun for me.  I am planning to build a simple A2 or A3 with handle in 16" for a beater gun though.  I got rid of the ones that I had and want another one now.  GS
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Larue billet upper reciever
Sun Devil billet lower
POF/Timney drop in FCG
Krieger 1-7 , 18" mid-length SPR turned by CLE  
Magpul MIAD grip
Magpul UBR
Larue 13.2
GG&G Swivel Bipod
Larue SPR 1.5 Mount
Nightforce 12-42x56 NXS-  Undecided on ret
LMT BCG
Vortex is on it now , soon to be replaced by a SUREFIRE FA556AR
Troy Flip-up front buis
ARMS #40L Rear buis
HK mags
KNS gen 2 pins.
Troy SPS converted into a 2pt
OD 42" S.E.R.T.

I'm running all of these parts now with the exception of the UBR , nightforce ,
SD Lower & BBl(right now i'm on a WOA 18"SPR bbl & bolt)
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
My preference seems to be.......Many Rifles! I built my first with some pretty high end stuff totalling about 3 grand. I just went and picked up a second lower and intend on keeping it a KISS. If I see any traction with this new ban, I'll pick up a third lower for a long range or larger caliber rifle. That way I got all the bases covered.

That's the beauty of the AR. There is no BEST. There is only best for your needs and budget. I love it!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top