Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2007 9:21:44 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm planning on building a 20" A4. I know I want a CMMG complete upper with a 1/7 twist Government-profile barrel, and I'm going to put together my own lower. It's just going to be a range toy and I'll probably shoot some high power here and there. I'll probably keep it KISS (I'm not a fan of all sorts of stuff hanging off the rifle, but to each his own) but I want the flat top upper because I might eventually stick an ACOG on there (that's a ways off though). I got a few questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. Should I go with the CMMG bolt and bolt carrier, or get a different brand?

2. Would it be legal to ship the pre-ban upper to CT? I have a second residence in NH where the rifle will be kept and used but my mailing address is in CT. I asked my FFL dealer in NH and he says that as long as the rifle is kept in NH there isn't any problem selling it to someone from a ban state.

3. What would you guys recommend for a stripped lower? My local FFL in NH doesn't order parts but he will do transfers. Are the Stag lowers on AIM Surplus for $99 any good?

4. For an A2 buttstock and lower parts kit, what manufacturer do you all recommend?

Thanks all for the input
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1. Should I go with the CMMG bolt and bolt carrier, or get a different brand?

The CMMG should be fine. CMT/LMT Auto carriers are what I would choose.

2. Would it be legal to ship the pre-ban upper to CT? I have a second residence in NH where the rifle will be kept and used but my mailing address is in CT. I asked my FFL dealer in NH and he says that as long as the rifle is kept in NH there isn't any problem selling it to someone from a ban state.

You can ship the upper wherever you want. It's a completed rifle OR all the parts required to complete the rifle that you do not want in the same place.

3. What would you guys recommend for a stripped lower?

I like Stag or RRA. If you don't like the "Queer Deer" you can get a Stag with "Global Tactical" on it from Denny's Guns/GTS.

4. For an A2 buttstock and lower parts kit, what manufacturer do you all recommend?

RRA or Stag LPK.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top