Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 10:12:09 AM EDT
Can I use a standard buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring on my 16" carbine?  It's a FA Liberator upper, and I'd like to replace the collapsing stock with an Ace tubular stock, but the Ace requires a standard buffer tube.  With the gas system tuned for a short barrel and the carbine stock, will I overstress any parts or can I expect FTF against the stiffer spring?  TIA for any advise...

FraserMaine
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
if you use a std, RIFLE length tube, you should use a std rifle length buffer and spring

if you are using a CAR stock length tube, you should be using a shorter, CAR stock length spring and buffer (spring is ~1in shorter and buffer is ~1 1/2in shorter than rifle)

either length of the correct and complete stock system will work with either a CAR/Middy/Rifle length upper, with no problems; i'm pretty sure i got your last question, so i will say that if you got the full length ACE stock that requires a std rifle length tube, you will need the longer rifle length spring and buffer

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You understood my question exactly right, thanks!  Standard length tube, buffer and spring are ordered.

This is an amazing board!

FraserMaine
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:09:05 AM EDT
[#3]
this either came from the USMC manual or Bushy:

Rifle Spring should measure 11 3/8" min - 13 1/2"
Carbine Spring should measure 10 1/16" - 11 1/4"

Buffers

let us know how the ACE works out for ya
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top