Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2006 12:56:26 AM EDT
I just stuck together the two stripped lowers I ordered from Pete at Legal-Transfers. (Great service by the way).  I was worried I was gonna bungle the whole thing, but it's really a piece of cake to put these things together.  I only send one detent into orbit I looked for it for some time and couldn't find it, must have burned up on re-entry. Oh well, I ordered 4 more online for spares and a couple springs.  

The fit and finish on RRA lowers is superb!  My DPMS 7.62x39 upper fits like a surgical glove into the RRA lower and is rock solid once in there.  

The only tools I needed was a set of Vise-Grips with the claws wrapped in tape, an allen wrench for the pistol grip screw and a standard screw driver for the A2 stock.  

My biggest word of advice to anybody trying this for the first time... DON'T USE A FUCKING PUNCH!  There is huge potential here to FUBAR your receiver.  The Vise-Grips are the way to go when installing the roll pins.  If you have a big enough one, Craftsman ROBO-Grips are perfect, the jaws stay parallel to eachother.

I was left with one question however.  Why doesn't somebody make parts that have the little button on them like one end of the trigger gaurd does, instead of using roll pins? The trigger gaurd would be easy to make like this on both ends, the bolt catch could be tricky I guess, but that roll-pin was much easier to deal with IMO.  

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently assembled a lower for the first time as well.  I really enjoyed doing it.  

I can't wait to attend more armorer's schools!  I love this stuff!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Next time, try some roll pin punches. They work great and the only way to remove them without damage.

Roll Pin Punches
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Besides if you are concerned when doing the bolt catch pin first masking tape the area around it, then use an old business card to lay flat on the receiver beneath where you are using the punch.  Even if it slips off you'll avoid marring the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why doesn't somebody make parts that have the little button on them like one end of the trigger gaurd does, instead of using roll pins?

My trigger guards are floppy on that end - you can wiggle them up and down because that little button isn't tight enough.  I think anything that has to bear weight (like the bolt catch that you push on) uses roll pins for a reason.  They are much more durable and stable than the little button on the front end of the trigger guard.

I'd rather have another roll pin on the other end of the trigger guard instead of that button, so it was really tight.

Proud your build went great.   I love putting lowers together.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the no fear club.  Careful, it's addictive.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait until you try to barrel your first upper......its even easier.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why doesn't somebody make parts that have the little button on them like one end of the trigger gaurd does, instead of using roll pins?

My trigger guards are floppy on that end - you can wiggle them up and down because that little button isn't tight enough.  I think anything that has to bear weight (like the bolt catch that you push on) uses roll pins for a reason.  They are much more durable and stable than the little button on the front end of the trigger guard.

I'd rather have another roll pin on the other end of the trigger guard instead of that button, so it was really tight.

Proud your build went great.   I love putting lowers together.

Good point on the tight fit.  Didn't think of that.  Another trick I used puting the roll pins in was to use a spare detent to push it just a touch further into the whole with the vise-grips after it was flush.  That way it wasn't flush on one side and below the surface on the other.  I chucked the detent after I was done since I kinda mangled it in the process.  Oh well, a $0.15 part is disposable.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I'm getting excited.

I bought my first lower a couple of weeks ago and I'm going to be ordering my parts kit and stock soon. I can't wait to get this thing going!

Thanks for the inspiring post.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
It's fun! Plus no better way to learn about your Gun than to make it yourself. I cant say that I am SUPER SMITH! But when I buld one for myself or a frend. I know who is going to use it so I have the insentive to do it right. Plus As stated it's fun and sadley very addictive! Also Welcome to the new guys! Post'im as you buld them. And ask as maney question as you want. We love helping people get turned on To Bulding It yourself!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
two weekends ago I put together two stripped lowers, one for me and one for my dad. Took a little time to do the first one but the second one only took minutes. Loved every second of it. Now I've got my blaster and my dad has his coyote killer. Now I'm addicted and am comtemplating my next one. But that is going to have to wait till fundage gets better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But that is going to have to wait till fundage gets better.

Unfortunately, I feel your pain and share your addiction.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top