Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 7:59:24 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster M4-gery that has a 16" stepped barell, is this a "mid length" or a "car length". Is this definition barell or gas port dependant? Sorry for the crappy spelling ~lol~h.gif
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#1]
well, i dont believe that bushmaster makes a middy yet, so i'll say its a CAR length that you have

the "stepped" part has nothing to do w/ the gas system length; "stepped" could refer to a couple of things, but usually to either: the stepped down portion on an M4 bbl (the cut out) for attaching an M203 or the stepped down cut on the muzzle for a propper crowning

got a pic of the bbl?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushy m4 style barrel is CAR length

CAR length and midlength are gas port dependant.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah - "mid-length" refers to the fact that the gas port is at 8.5" down the barrel instead of 6.5" like a CAR or 11.5" like a rifle.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=266108

Any profile barrel could be considered "mid-length" if it had a gas port at 8.5" (HBARs, M4s, lightweight, etc).
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Its for the use of a 203 im sure, but then again im a newby so I wont say that ~lol~.

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f14m4iz.asp
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks loads for the info, sorry for the FNG question...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
No problemo - we wouldn't be answering if we minded the questions.  How else are people supposed to learn?  

Welcome to AR15.com, by the way.  I haven't seen you around before now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Well ive been a "lurker" for some time, but after my detent spring went ~pflllliiiinnnnggg~ across the room somewhere I figured id ask about that, and everyone was so helpfull I figured id ask another ..opened a whole can of wormes for yall ~lol~
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a noob too! Great writeup on the AR operation and gas factors on ejection. Taking a barrel and putting the gas port in different locations would affect the rifle timing, the way I undestand it.

I have not bought my upper yet and I am looking at building a tactical build for a first time.

Does it matter to me where the gas block sits on a 16 inch barrel at this point?

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go mid-length just for the lower pressures meaning (most likely) longer bolt life, smoother cycling, and less recoil.  The only reason to go CAR-length is to get the wider assortment of accessories that fit them and the (usually) lower prices.  In addition, a 16" middy can use a standard M7 or M9 bayonet, and a 16" CAR cannot.  The "timing" issue (assuming you mean dwell time and such) is fixed by opening up the gas port wider for less barrel past the gas port.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top