Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 9:23:16 AM EDT
So I got a little bonus and am looking to buy an AR-15 with some of it.  This would be my first AR-15.

I plan on shooting it once or twice a year, so this gun is not going to be a "hands-off-don't-touch" investment, but it's not going to be a heavy-duty use gun either.  Also, I want something very standard for the moment, but with a lot of future customizations available.  Thus far, I really want the Colt as it seems to have the longest history of tradition and least depreciation.

Then, I thought - instead of buying it already put together, how difficult would it be to put one together at a gun show?  I go to almost every one and they have a million AR-15 parts around.  Then over time I can purchase accessories for it at the gun shows I frequent instead of always looking :)

I would want to start small - I certainly have time to purchase an upper, a lower and stick them together for starters.  My only drawback to doing this is that I don't want to have to jimmy with it for a while to get it to work.  If it's going to be hard to match two parts together, I'd rather buy something the factory will back up.

What are your thoughts?  What would you recommend for putting together an initially-simple AR-15 at a gun show?  Are Colt parts available enough to do this?  Am I better off spending my money on a pre-assembled rifle and customizing it from there?  

Thanks - this forum is what got me started on the DIY thing :)
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Equipment Exchange icon just to the left of the AR-15 icon that got you here from the homepage. This is a source for parts new and used that is a million times better than any gunshow. I have built 2+ rifles off the Equipment Exchange. There is just about everything and anything out there, and you can score some incredible deals on used stuff.

Welcome to the site! Prepare your pocket book and significant other for the rampant addiction that is soon to follow!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Very big plus 1 for the EE. Just pick up a good lower striped. Then go to the EE for barrels, uppers,stocks and parts. Most stuff at Gun shows is of questionable quality at best. Not to mention overpriced. Here you have some of the best co. I have ever delt with fair prices. And item you cant find anywere else. Only way to go. Lost track of how much stuff I have gotten or how much I have saved on the EE.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top