Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
Where can I find instructions for drilling and reaming an FSB and new barrel for taper pins?  Especially maintaining index during machining.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Where can I find instructions for drilling and reaming an FSB and new barrel for taper pins?  Especially maintaining index during machining.

I've done it a few times, but using dowel pins instead of taper pins.  What I did was tap the hole under where the sling swivel mounts, and installed a set screw.  I took it out to the range, shot it and adjusted it until my rear sight was perfectly centered, then took it home and drilled it using a standard drill press and vise and installed the pins.  It was actually really simple.  The set screw held it in place enough that it didn't move when I drilled, and I didn't even disassemble the upper.

The important thing, if you use a dowel pin, is to use a drill bit that's about .001" undersize.  Like I had 1/8" dowel pins, I had the drill bit ground .001" so the pins fit tight.  Otherwise, they'll be loose.  Guess how I found that out.    Taper pins, you'll need a taper pin reamer.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much, sir!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thank you very much, sir!

No problem, IM me if you have any other questions.  The set screw method works really well, and I just leave it in place.  You can install the sling swivel and not even notice it, unless you know it's there and look for it.  I might have a few extra around if you need one, I use short 8-32 ones I think they were.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top