Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2006 4:44:30 PM EDT
Guys i'm building a gun room and was thinking of getting a lathe / mill combo machine from possibly grizzly i was sondering if any of these non cnc machines are capabale of chambering the barrels for match grade chambering and if these machines can mill out a forging. Any tips on good machines would be appreciated. My Gun room is 12x16. so o combo machine that would take up a little space might be best.  But I dont' want to buy a machine at all if i'm not going to be able to do that kind of work with a cheaper non cnc machine.  Grizzy has some stuff in the 2500 range.  WIll these machines work.  Any pics you guys have of your gunsmithing shops and or gunrooms would be great!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Smithy combo mill-lathe and no they aren't all that. I use mine for milling /drilling and that is for light stuff like dovetail, drilling sight holes etc.
On my machine the hole in headstock is only one inch and it has about 20" between centers.
Of course you could use it for what you wanted but it takes skill etc. and you must set it up for every cut.
I chamber on a 12x 36 grizzly 4003 which is OK but I wish I had bigger/better. but that's what I could afford and had room for.

BTW C-N-C is only good as the programing and or setup. If you don't known G-code don't worry with CNC. I studied G-code years ago in school ,but never used it much worked mostly on manuel machines as a toolmaker.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top