Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2006 5:19:06 PM EDT
I need to remove my RRA cage flash suppressor and put on the SE Vortex.  I don't see a problem following the instructions to put it on but I need some advise on taking the old one off.  Any tips along the way will help.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As long as it is not pinned/welded on, a crescent wrench should work fine.  Use some tape to prevent marring the finish.  My bird cage did not take much force.  It used a crush washer.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming you don't have real armorers tools (like me - I go ghetto method), use two blocks of wood to pin the front sight base in a vise without scratching it.  I use two short 1x2 pine pieces.  Then, wrap the wrench surfaces or the flash hider itself in tape to prevent harming the flash hider.  Duct tape works best, but I just used electrical tape on the 5C2 I put on about 2 hours ago - it stretched, tore, and marred the finish anyway.  D'oh!  A little cold blue fixed it, but I wish I had used better tape.

If you don't have the barrel held by a vise and try to use the knee on the front sight base on the carpet method, you'll never get a crush washer to crush.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay now I will sound real stupid but as you look at the weapon from the front, clockwise or counter-clockwise??

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
From the muzzle end, turn counter-clockwise, like taking the lid off a jar.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Righty tighty Lefty Loosey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the info.  For some reason I thought it was left handed threads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
You must have put one on an AK before.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top