Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2006 11:29:31 AM EDT
So I'm taking the day off from work. Last night I was running a 101 degree fever and I feel like somebody kicked the hell out of me. Since I was sitting around not doing anything, I figured I'd finish putting the parts into my new lower receiver. This was not the smartest idea I've ever had.

Long story short, I launched the pivot pin spring and detent across the room. This is the computer room/disaster area, so god knows where it landed. I'll probably find it when the dog starts chewing on it, since she's prone to chewing rocks and screws and other small hard objects.

Since there's a gun show this weekend and next weekend, I'm not too worried about the parts. In the meantime, I know Brownell's sells a tool to help with installing this part but I'm damned if I can find it on their crappy website. Anybody know the part number?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You can make you own with a piece of 1/4" diameter steel, brass, aluminum or plasic rod. Drill a 3/32" hole through it about 1/4" or so from one end.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownells part number for the detent installation tool is 080-216-011.  The detent depressor (for disassembly) is 080-216-010.  They make assembly MUCH easier.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
A cotter pin from home depot works for me.  I took my takedown pin to get the right diameter.  It already had the hold drilled in it.  Worked great, no lag time to have it shipped, and cheap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Put the lower inside a clear plastic bag while installing the detents in case you launch them again.  I've read that some people assemble the lower while under a white bedsheet in a brightly lit room.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the parts from Brownell's. By the time I get my crap together and get the new pin & spring I should have them.

I'll have to remember the cotter pin, though. I may pick one up just in case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Next time do it under a sheet or in a tent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Next time do it under a sheet or in a tent. hr

Naw, man, I'm better than that. Anybody can exercise some common sense and plan ahead and do things correctly. It takes talent to screw things up catastrophically.

Or do I have that backwards?  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top