Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2006 10:49:25 AM EDT
With all of the uppers and lowers available out there, I have questions about assembling a complete rifle.

With a complete upper that came off a functioning rifle, combined with a complete lower, such as a RRA, Bushie, etc, and a complete BCG such as the CMT ones, does headspace need to be checked?  

Or, would headspace only need to be checked if a new barrel had to be mounted to the upper?

A buddy is trying to put together another rifle, using an upper he already has (left over), and we were trying to figure out if it was as easy as him ordering the BCG and a complete lower.

Sorry if this is too obvious.  I've never had anything but complete rifles so I certainly don't know the correct answers, and I don't want there to be a safety problem.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Just snap the upper and lower together and you're good to go.  If the upper is properly headspaced, putting it on a different lower won't make any difference at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
A new BCG with a used upper shouldn't be a problem BUT it never hurts to check headspace on an unknown combination. I like to keep all of my uppers and BCG's together. Every upper has a dedicated bolt and carrier. Just my thing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Lower is used to hold the upper receiver and the trigger group. Lowers have nothing to do with head spacing etc.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks for the replies so far.  I'm clear that the lower is no big deal, I just wasn't sure if a new BCG installed into the complete upper would require headspace being checked.

Thanks much.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top