Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 3:52:33 PM EDT
The action block available from Bushmaster folds around the upper receiver and is then held in a vice. There is another type of action block that makes use of the front and rear pivot pin holes of the upper receiver.

Can an argument be made for one type over the other?

I have three complete uppers from Bushmaster. On each of them I can tell where the action block contacted the upper.

Does anyone know if the pivot pin designed action block can handle torquing barrels on and off as effectively as the wrap around design?

Thanks,

Gunzer
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This was covered here recently. I’m skeptical about the DPMS tool. I have the Bushmaster and it works just fine. So what if it leaves a slight mark on the upper during assembly, can’t see them anymore after some time and CLP.  

Plus, my weapons are not range queens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
 this was somewhere here last week,  dont waste your money on the DPMS action thingy.  It is not for barrel work.  buy the Brownells model.  

looks like this,  leaves a shiney spot on upper,  but thats ok in my book.  

I supports most of the reciever,  the DPMS does not,  

DPMS model

heres a topic

and another topic
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
ADCO sells the Schuster Upper Holder. Their site shows a picture of it mounted sideways with a piece of wood against the rail of and A4 upper. It's ony $28.00 and if you wanted a no marks on your flat top this might work just do the trick.

Link
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:14:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Just use the barrel blocks like the Army did for years.  No marks on the upper, and you can properly boresight the barrel so no canted front sights.

Boresighting is not possible with the clamshell thingies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:52:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the answers. I know the concern for leaving marks on what many on this forum consider "Tools of the trade" does not matter. I appreciate the responses with the lack of flame!

Gunzer
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have the Bushmaster block. I’ve never bore sighted my weapons before, but why couldn’t a guy bore sight with the BM block? It doesn’t obstruct the top of the receiver.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the Bushmaster block. I’ve never bore sighted my weapons before, but why couldn’t a guy bore sight with the BM block? It doesn’t obstruct the top of the receiver.

Every clamshell setup I have seen has a receiver insert (fits in the carrier cavity) to keep from crushing the receiver when tightened down.  You can not boresight with something in the breech as you tighten.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Every clamshell setup I have seen has a receiver insert (fits in the carrier cavity) to keep from crushing the receiver when tightened down.  You can not boresight with something in the breech as you tighten.

The BM block does not utilize an insert so I guess it would work.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
To prevent those "Shiney Marks" on your Upper Receiver when you are useing the Wrap around Action Block, I use a a Zip Lock style heavy Freezer Bag. I wrap the receiver with the bag before I put it in the Action Block. You will not get those "Shiney Marks" than, which are caused by the Action Block rubbing on your Upper Receiver.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top