Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 5:24:36 PM EDT
Am almost done with my Green/Black build,  I used  Norrels Moly Resin,  and after Seeing the results plan on redoing my circa 1983 Ruger 10/22. its been around the block.   anyway,  here it is.  
RRA Lower
M1S 20" A3 kit.  

I used Stickmans Thread as a reference,  

Upper/Lower/Barrel after sand blasting and taping off.  

finished product.

Prolly just gonna keep this one simple.  Prolly just go with a simple Iron Sight.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, Nice Job on the paint thing...

It has its spunk !
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
do you have to mask off machined surfaces that contact or slide against each other?  Does that stuff get very thick on the surfaces?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool.  That's what I plan on doing with my 9mm AR.  I already have the OD lower, I just need to make the upper match now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking of doing something very similar so now I know how it will look.

I like it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice.  I like it......but I am biased.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to Re-tape the barrel extension which meant that it was a TIGHT fit back into the reciever,  which may be a good thing,  Also,  had to take the proper sized drill bit and ream the bolt catch plunger hole out so the thing would function right.  

I shot it 50 times today to start the break in and no chips where the brass hits the brass deflector.   The inside of the upper/lower are also OD  I hit everything I could see or get too.

Next project   TAN and black!!!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
so you paint all surfaces and theres no function issues?  excluding barrel and chamber interiors of course.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice work!

Might try some Norrels on my next paint project.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#11]
very nice looking job...

I know I am building a Basic Mid-length carbine.. nothing fancy... I am looking at doing some sort of paint job on it to get the rifle in a MARPAT camo pattern..

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
i'm assuming you just used a standard heat gun to pre-heat the parts?

i have a heat lamp left over from a friend who had to get rid of his reptiles before PCS'ing overseas, and am toying with using it to build a molyresin application box.  either that or a cosmolene removal box.

hell maybe i'll use it for both.  

looks great!  i still have problems getting the moly to apply perfectly.  it's a LOT more temperamental than the duracoat for me.  i guess i just get too impatient and end up applying it more heavily than i should.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
this was my second build
Norrell on the lower to match the upper
Norrell on the mags
going to go back and refinish some of the smaller parts for contrast (selector, mag catch/release, etc.)

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#14]
To start I used a sandblaster on the barrel upper lower.  Then to heat I used Momma's hair dryer on the upper which I coated first so the Lower and barrrel were put in the oven to heat up (130 degree's) while doing the upper.  I did not take a part out of the oven until ready to coat it.   BTW aiming a Hairdryer at the upper so it blows into it gets the upper VERY hot.  I didnt think is was that warm so picked it up,  dropped it and started cussing.  

After coating I left em out in the garage hanging out for an hour while letting the oven preheat.  also "cooked" the parts for 75 mins instead of 60,  just to make sure,  after they cooled off I did the Aceton Test and not even a little Norrels came off on the Q-tip.  

Quoted:
so you paint all surfaces and theres no function issues?  excluding barrel and chamber interiors of course.

Only thing not painted on this puppy is the bore/chamber (well might be some where the gas hole is drilled) !!! I was worried the FSB wouldnt fit back on the barrel after painting but I think Stick said oil it up good before trying,  and oiled it well and was hard to get on but did not scratch the paint!  As far as AR-15's go it has to be the Best looking one I have built.  Kinda makes black look like dullsville!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
i dig it!

nice.  i always enjoy looking at people's successful projects!

keep them coming!

-septic tank
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Kells81....looking great!!!!!  Clean, simple and gorgeous!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top