Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
I recently purchased a 14.5" upper with a Phantom pinned and welded.  The last 3/4" or so of muzzle below the FS is discolored brown.  Is this just a cosmetic issue or did that area of the barrel get too hot?  Any potential for problems down the road?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Im Guessing it was either MIG or Tig welded , if so , the parkerizeing just got discolored , and you will not have a issue with functioning , just cosmetic ,  if this bothers you , you might try having it re-parkerized ,   or if you have a air-brush ,  just do a touch up with norrells moly resin
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Who did you buy it from ?

Any great amount of heat will discolor the Finish.

Are you sure its welded? , Most of the vendors doing this use silver solder, and refinish
the barrel end afterward.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who did you buy it from ?

Any great amount of heat will discolor the Finish.

Are you sure its welded? , Most of the vendors doing this use silver solder, and refinish
the barrel end afterward.

I purchased the upper from an individual, but the work was done by Kurt at KKF and he blind pins.  You can clearly see the weld at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Ah , well if Kurt did it I'm sure its fine , it's only necessary to weld over the blind pin to
be legal on the length.

I would just use some flat black heat resistant paint and then  a coat of CLP.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top