Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2006 7:01:37 AM EDT
Has anyone done an AR15 in Aluma Hyde II?  How well does it hold up? I have done just a barrel with fine results. Considering an entire AR15 in Desert Tan. I can not do an oven cure processes. Is there a better non oven cure paint available?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My AR is basically a beater. When I got small dings on it finish, I decided to blast it with Alumnahyde II. First I did the lower and parts of the upper. When it turned out well ... I decided, what the heck, and blasted my FSB, barrel and FH!

It turned out very well IMO. Had run more than a thousand rounds thru it and has held up ok.

My only gripe against the Alumnahyde II is the fact that the friggin nozzel ALWAYS gets clogged up when you store it! I now have a half can of this stuff which I cannot use because of a clogged nozzel!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]

i did a FAL in AII and am pretty happy with the results.  I think for future projects I am going to get an airbrush and use Norrells or one of the other "new" finishes out there.

As far as the clogged nozzles, Brownells does sell extras.  When I am finished, I turn the can upside down and spray until the nozzle clears.  I also take the nozzle out and spray through it with brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answer. This may help Brownells sells replacement nozels very cheap by the dozen. Brownellls is great to deal with. They treat a customer with a small order for a dozen nozels just like one who spent 1K. If you need I can get the brownells part number to you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the answer. This may help Brownells sells replacement nozels very cheap by the dozen. Brownellls is great to deal with. They treat a customer with a small order for a dozen nozels just like one who spent 1K. If you need I can get the brownells part number to you.

Thanks for the offer Dusky. Unfortunately, I am not from the US and thus cannot order the parts easily because I doubt that they would ship out your country.

My wify is planning to visit there though and i will be sure to ask her to  get me a DOZEN of these nozzels!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:32:53 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't hold up as well as Norells or Dura Coat especially with the harsh cleaning chemicals used today (GunScrubber etc.). I have heard it say its one step above Krylon and I think this statement is true from my own experiences.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to agree with the statement that A-II does spray on the "thick" side. I understand though that for you guys who have access to Brownells there, you can buy a nozzel that would make for a finer spray ... if memory serves me correctly.

With regard that it does not hold up well to solvents, I have to say that I have not had that problem. Maybe I use the a milder solvent, I don't really know. But I have regularly been using solvents on my rifle (the brand escapes me now as I am posting from work ) and do blast it also with carb cleaner at times. So far, things have held up.

Anyway, my inputs above are just my personal experiences and I am not trying to have an argument with anybody.

I do concede that it is not the best finish that you can use for your rifle. However, I have to ask the same question that Duskykiller asked in his first post: "Is there a better non oven cure paint available?"
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I used Aluma Hyde II on a lower receiver and a PRI freefloat tube and both were prepped correctly. The items were actually placed in front of a space heater to warm them up after being finished per the instructions (to speed curing time). I followed the instructions 100%  and after total cure time was up the finish came right off with GunScrubber. Actually this happened twice so I stopped using it. If you know not to use some of the more harsh cleaning agents in advance it should work fine for you. I didn't like not knowing if it would hold up to a cleaner I use evertime I clean a firearm so I double checked the finish and like I said, both times it came right off. I may have gotten a bad batch, you never know. Just my experiences with the stuff and certainly others have had better luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I did some furniture, and turned out well, a little spray-heavy, but not an issue for me.

The stuff takes a long time to cure, like a few months, until it isn't 'soft' anymore. Seriously.

I used the rest of the can to paint my sprinkler heads.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I did some furniture, and turned out well, a little spray-heavy, but not an issue for me.

The stuff takes a long time to cure, like a few months, until it isn't 'soft' anymore. Seriously.

I used the rest of the can to paint my sprinkler heads.

Maybe I should have waited a few months versus two weeks to spray Gun Scrubber on it. Either way there much better finishes that come in spray can form available. Brownells sells gun Kote and a type of Moly Resin in a spray can, both of which should be much better than AlumaHyde II.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top