Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 6:09:20 PM EDT
Saw a thread where somebody mentioned using silicon to make a poor mans PRI Gasbuster charging handle.  Where and what do you seal?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The little half moon shape on the top side at the back of the charging handle where it fits up to the receiver. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol first then take some RTV gasket sealer and run a bead around the half moon cut out and let it set up completely. When you reinstall the B/BC/CH it will seal up on the receiver and prevent gas from escaping around the CH into your eyes. Some opt to fill a small portion of the underside as well (about 1/2" or so) in the rear.

I will post a pic. or two here for you tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
waiting for pic...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting idea.  My google-fu revealed this:  LINK 1
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
waiting for pic...

Ask and ye shall receive!

I use RTV hi-temp to acheive these results. Put a bead about 3/16" around the half moon section of the CH like this. Fill it flush with the top.

On the bottom fill the slot about 1/4" in the rear like this and wipe it flush and after it sets up, enjoy a gas free face!

Hope this helps. I think a Stickey may be nice for this cheap mod.? What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Woh, psychadelic pic.  Sticky, indeed!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Maximum taggage.

PRI has a great Big Latch but I wish they'd price their charging handles more realistically. I bet the bar stock or raw material for the CH is peanuts compared to the $90 price tag. I can totally see myself buying a $40-$50 PRI gas buster + Big Latch combo, but $90+ is ridiculous. RTV it is. I love shooting but I hate having to cough and hack out nasty crap that I breathed in. I shoot Wolf ammo and don't really mind the nasty smell but it'd be great if I could reduce the amount I breathed in, especially with a nose-to-CH cheek weld.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Bravo...
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a thread I started a few months back. It has what you're looking for.

Coping with gas blowback.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Only problem is you have to be a team member to see the info.!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I used ultra copper RTV but it's a tad messy. Is there a more affordable SHTF-duty solution? I hear the Gas buster handle isn't a 100% solution.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a link that I found a while ago.

www.triplebreakproducts.com/FAQ/gas_in_my_face___.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Maximum taggage.

PRI has a great Big Latch but I wish they'd price their charging handles more realistically. I bet the bar stock or raw material for the CH is peanuts compared to the $90 price tag. I can totally see myself buying a $40-$50 PRI gas buster + Big Latch combo, but $90+ is ridiculous. RTV it is. I love shooting but I hate having to cough and hack out nasty crap that I breathed in. I shoot Wolf ammo and don't really mind the nasty smell but it'd be great if I could reduce the amount I breathed in, especially with a nose-to-CH cheek weld.

I work for a large machinery manufacturer, and on items that are not high volume items (like the Gas Buster) we have a hard time making just about anything for under $100.00.  The amount of time it takes to rough out the charging handle, make some finishing passes, debur and finish is probably a bit more than you realize.  Then you have to charge enough to make a profit or it isn't worth making at all.

You get what you pay for.

5Shot
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only problem is you have to be a team member to see the info.!

Aah,   membership has it's privileges. This was just a snip of what was discussed, for the rest you need Mastercard a bronze membership.

Originally posted by Mfingar

A bead of silicone on the rear of the charging hamdle, where it meets the reciever, brings any gas in your face to about 0%

I also add a strip of storm-door weatherproofing.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maximum taggage.

I work for a large machinery manufacturer, and on items that are not high volume items (like the Gas Buster) we have a hard time making just about anything for under $100.00.  The amount of time it takes to rough out the charging handle, make some finishing passes, debur and finish is probably a bit more than you realize.  Then you have to charge enough to make a profit or it isn't worth making at all.

You get what you pay for.

5Shot

If they sold them for less money, they'd sell more and eventually it'd be high volume. But if it only works somewhat for $90, it'll never become high volume.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top